Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

ITALY first visit...other places to see in 10 days..

Sep 15th, 2000, 05:30 AM
sarah

My husband and I have been to Ireland, but now want to visit relatives in Italy this Spring (best month to go??) and want advise on your favorite places to squeeze into a ten day stay (London, Paris, etc.) Prefer above moderate prices. Any suggestions will be appreciated on where to stay and travel.

Sep 15th, 2000, 05:36 AM
howard

First of all, spring is great time for Europe. As for destinations, why not spend the entire time in Italy? Ten days in Italy is tease! Where are your relatives in Italy? That info will help determine the best itinerary for the entire ten days.

Sep 15th, 2000, 06:36 AM
sarah

Thanks so far.....family is from Carovilli(sp.?) about 50 mi. south of Rome around the Abrutsi (?) Mts.

Sep 15th, 2000, 08:10 AM
Linda

Have to agree with Howard--10 days is not long enough for visiting relatives & going outside Italy. There are so many places in Italy to see. If you do go, try Monte Carlo and into Switzerland--or to Croatia & the Dalmatian Coast for less tourists & costs & nice scenery.

Sep 15th, 2000, 08:31 AM
John

I like May and June is even better. The Europeans don't start their mass migration to the Sea and their summer vacation ritual until July 14th. So anytime before then avoids the crowds, traffic jams and problems with hotel & restaurant reservations. April and earlier can be wet so I would avoid that time if you can. My last time in Italy was spent in an area close to where you are going. Perhaps a little further south and east. I was in Isernia and Campobello. I recall flying into Rome and driving south taking a left at Mont Cassino up into the mountains. We spent a few days in that area and then 3 days on the Amalfi coast which I strongly advise. The views and beauty are awesome and very romantic. We finished up in Rome for a couple of days. Time was short and I would have preferred a few more weeks, months or couple of years. There is much to see and experience.

The choice is yours, but 10 days to do London, Paris and Italy is a bit much. I think you could spend that many days in any one of the destinations and still not see everything or feel like you've stayed too long. 10 days wouldn't be too long for just where you are going in Italy. A few days in the mountains, the Amalfi coast and in Rome would use that up easily. And there still is Florence, Siena, the Cinque Terre, San Gimiganano, Venice and the lake region to see and you still would be barely scratching the surface.

10 days in Paris would also not be overdoing it unless you've been there many times. There are a number of day trips from Paris or even for a couple of days or more .... Normandy, Loire Valley, Alsace and Provence.

Where to stay would depend on where you want to go. I don't think there are a shortage of moderate, above moderate or expensive places to stay no matter where you go. So your priority would be to narrow down where you want to go and to check what is available. There are a number of sources available on the net and this forum will certainly provide more recommendations than you care to know if you like.

Sep 15th, 2000, 10:53 AM
lisa

There is so much to see in Italy that 10 days is really a drop in the bucket, so I would definitely spend the whole time in Italy. In 10 days you can really only see 2-3 cities/areas well. Given that you have a base near Rome, I would choose one of the following itineraries:
1. 5 days Rome, 5 days Amalfi coast
2. 7 days Rome, 3 days Venice
3. 7 days Rome, 3 days Florence
4. 4 days Rome, 3 days Florence, 3 days Venice.
Personally I would choose #1.

Sep 15th, 2000, 11:50 AM
howard

If the 10 days includes visiting relatives, then I would assume you have 7 or 8 days left. If so, I'd spend 2 or 3 on the Amalfi coast, including a visit to Pompeii and the rest in Rome.
If the 10 days are over and above the visit with relatives, then I would add Florence or Venice. Florence is closer, but Venice is, well, Venice! Or, you could eliminate the Amalfi coast and do Florence and Venice. Either way, it still won't be enough time.....but, that's okay, because you'll go back. Right?

Sep 15th, 2000, 12:59 PM
sarah

RIGHT!! from the way it sounds...we can't wait until Spring. And thank you for the replies so far!