Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy - Driving Regulations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-driving-regulations-44235/)

Jeremy C. Feldman May 13th, 1999 05:59 AM

Italy - Driving Regulations

I plan to rent a car in Switzerland this summer and drive down to Italy. According to information sent to me by the Italian tourist office, I'll need something they call a <BR>"certificate of insurance" on my vehicle in order to drive in Italy. As I'm using my <BR>credit card's auto insurance, I'm confused about what this might mean. Does anyone <BR>who has driven into Italy have any experience with this? <BR> <BR>Also, the information I received says that an American driver's license is valid in Italy. However, later in the brochure it says that foreign licenses will only be accepted if accompanied by a translation. Again, has anyone had any experience with this? <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR> <BR>- Jeremy C. Feldman <BR>[email protected]

Beth May 13th, 1999 06:31 AM

It's highly likely that your credit card coverage is not valid in Italy. You should check with your credit card company, but as an example American Express doesn't cover car rentals in Italy. You may have to accept the CDW and additional insurance from the car rental agency. <BR> <BR>Do a search in this forum for "International Driver's License" and you should find a fairly recent series of postings on whether or not you really need one. The consensus seems to have been that since you can get it for $10 from AAA, its not a bad thing to have, but its extremely unlikely that anyone will ever ask to see it. <BR> <BR>

Jeremy Feldman May 13th, 1999 07:06 AM

Thanks for your reply. <BR> <BR>Actually, my gold Visa bancard's insurance does cover Italy -- I already checked. But I'm specifically worried about this "Certificate of Insurance" as, with the insurance on my card, I won't have any documentation to "prove" that it's on my card. The car rental agreement will show that I've declined the CDW. <BR> <BR>Does anyone know anything specifically about this? <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR> <BR>- Jeremy

wes fowler May 13th, 1999 07:09 AM

Jeremy, <BR>The certificate of insurance, called the "Gren Card" is automatically provided by the car rental agency. It will be in the glove compartment of the auto. The International Drivers License, available from any AAA office for a fee of $10.00 plus two passport sized photos provides a translation of your existing license.

Eliza May 13th, 1999 07:37 AM

Backing up Wes's comments, when you rent a car in Italy, the additional insurance will or should automatically be added to the price of the car. Make sure that is because it is required. Then, you'll be set.

Jeremy May 13th, 1999 08:18 AM

Thanks again for your replies. <BR> <BR>However, once again, I'm renting the car in Switzerland and driving into Italy. Consequently, I'm wondering if the fact that my insurance will be on my credit card and not on the car rental agreement will pose a problem when crossing the border. <BR> <BR>If anyone knows anything about this, please post a reply. <BR> <BR>Thanks.

Anne May 13th, 1999 08:32 AM

Crossing the border is very low-key - no stopping or questioning, just a "wave-through". We went from France to Italy and back recently with no problem. I'd suggest taking the little print-out that your bankcard co. gives out along with you. It explains the insurance coverage for gold, platinum, etc. cards. It's a good thing to have along with you anyway since it outlines what to do in case of all kinds of emergencies concerning the card or purchases. <BR>

wes fowler May 13th, 1999 08:44 AM

Jeremy, <BR>Typo earlier on: proof of insurance is the "Green Card", not "Gren". All rental car companies insure their vehicles and provide the green card as proof the auto is insured; it's required in all European countries and readily recognizable. CDW and your credit card insurance protects and insures you, not the auto against accident costs.

wes fowler May 13th, 1999 08:45 AM

Jeremy, <BR>Typo earlier on: proof of insurance is the "Green Card", not "Gren". All rental car companies insure their vehicles and provide the green card as proof the auto is insured; it's required in all European countries and readily recognizable. CDW and your credit card insurance protects and insures you, not the auto against accident costs. The only proof of insurance you will ever need to produce for police is the green card. Proof of personal insurance or credit card insurance need only be presented to the rental company in the event of accident.

carol May 14th, 1999 11:00 AM

Dear Jeremy: <BR>Check with the agency from whom you are renting your car in Switzerland regarding the required certificate of insurance. I've been renting cars abroad for years with credit card insurance coverage and never asked to produce any certificate of insurance. <BR>Regarding the international driver's license, I strongly encourage that you obtain one. It's easy enough to do at any AAA office and costs $10 - gives you a different kind of insurance in the event of an accident - <BR>Carol L