Italy- Driving from Cinque Terre to San Gimignano

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be traveling to Italy this summer. For part of our trip, we're going to rent a car...we'll be coming from the Cinque Terre and going to a farmhouse outside San Gimignano. I'm trying to decide between picking up our car in Pisa and driving mostly smaller roads to San Gimignano (a less direct route) or taking the train to Florence and driving from Florence to San Gimignano (this way would be more direct, but on a large highway). If anyone has driving experience in Italy and knows that area, I'd appreciate your opinion!
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:44 PM

It's not clear to me (and perhaps others) what options you are considering, but let me try to answer.

You will certainly find it more enjoyable to drive on smaller roads to San Gimigiano than on the large highway (which will be filled with trucks).

However, if you pick up the car in Pisa, it is unwise to drive it to Florence, if you were thinking of doing that, because you won't find it difficult to park there.

But even if you pick up your car in Firenze, there is no reason why you can't get off the large highway and make your way to San Gimigiano on small roads. It will take you longer -- but you will enjoy it immensely.

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 08:23 PM

There are lots of devious and interesting ways to get from nearly any point A to Point B in Chianti/Tuscany ! The main road is no drama either, very direct and multi lane and not difficult at all. Plus there are plenty of roads to take diversions off if you get worried. Mind you a truck on the open multi lane highway is easier to deal with than a tractor on a narrow winding country road !
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 12:25 AM

Rent your car in Florence and drive through the wonderful
Val di Pesa on your way to San Gimignano. Your first stop should be San Casciano in Val di Pisa then on to Greve in Chianti(Falornis for Tuscan delicacies), Castellina in Chianti, by pass Poggibonsi (severely damaged in WW2) and visit the old town of Certaldo before arriving in San Gim. You should have a great day.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 09:33 AM

I just returned from Tuscany and drove to San Gimignano through the wine country. Any way you go will be a thrill, but driving through the small hill towns and countryside is fabulous. Don't miss it. Take the slower, scenic route, it's worth it.

Cesca1
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 11:33 AM

We made the drive you are asking about, however we already had our rental car having picked it up in Milan a week earlier. Once in SML, you don't really need a car so if you can rent one there once you are ready to leave SML, then I would certainly do it. The drive to San G is easy and would suggest you map it on viamichelin.com.