Italy Dream Itinerary

Search

Italy Dream Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy Dream Itinerary

I am planning an anniversary trip to Italy in April 2013. After reading guidebooks and posts, I have the following questions:

1. Timing: We are planning to be in Italy from April 4th to April 21st. We could potentially push this back by a week or two, but then we run into the holidays on April 25th and May 1st. How rainy is the weather in Italy during this time.

2. Itinerary Goals: We want a good mix of sightseeing and relaxing. We love the coast and included Venice, Cinque Terre, and Sorrento. We intend to travel by train. Do you have any suggestions regarding the following itinerary?

Apr 4-5: fly from Colorado to Venice
Apr 5-7: hotel in Venice; explore Venice and surrounding islands
Apr 8-9: hotel in Cinque Terre; relax, hike, explore
Apr 10-13: hotel in Florence; explore Florence; one public tour to Siena and San G.
Apr 14-16: hotel in Sorrento; day trip to Pompeii; day trip private car tour to Amalfi Coast
Apr 17-20: explore Rome
Apr 21: fly home

3. Photo Tour: This is a kind of weird question, but I noticed one can do a private photo tour in Venice. It is ranked highly on Tripadvisor. I really want to learn how to use my camera. Has anyone done this type of tour before? I was thinking that we could do this the first afternoon to keep us awake after the long trip from the US.

4. Capri: Is it a mistake to leave out Capri when we are so close? Is it important enough to take one day from Rome and add it to Sorrento?

5. Hotels: I have selected some hotels through Trip Advisor. However, I would be very interested in checking into others if there is one that is highly recommended. Budget is variable - could pay $300/night (Euros) in one location but would like to stick to low to mid $200's in general.

6. First Trip: This is our first trip to Italy. Is there something that I'm leaving off that is a "must see" for a first trip (e.g., Milan)?

Thanks so much for your help.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 06:29 PM

First thought … Less is more!

April 8th will be a long day, getting from the east coast to the west coast, all for one day of hiking in the Cinque Terre.

April 14th will be an even longer day, trains from Florence to Rome to Naples, and then other transport to Sorrento.

I would eliminate one of those two destinations, as attractive as they both would be.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 06:36 PM

April is very early to visit le Cinque Terre. You could get lucky with sunny dry weather, but if it is rainy, it is typically downpours in early April, and they sometimes last several days in a row. No hiking. No views.

Personally, I don't like Capri. I went to the area many times without seeing it. When I finally went, I didn't much enjoy it. It is not my dream of Italy!

I like Rome a lot and love to spend time there. It sounds like you like quiet places. There are many areas of Rome that are quiet, so you might prefer those.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 06:37 PM

You asked a questions about hotels: Bed and Breakfasts are usually much nicer but less expensive than the middle-priced hotels.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 06:52 PM

I would skip the Cinque Terre this trip since you'll be heading to the Amalfi coast.

The timing is great. I have been to Italy anywhere from early April to mid-May. I love the mid-April timeframe.

You have 3 nights in Sorrento, but I'd work it this way.. train from Florence to Sorrento (changing trains in Rome and Naples). Settle into your hotel in Sorrento. (I think total travel time will fall around 3-1/2 to 4 hours.) Take in some of Sorrento area. 2nd night in Sorrento. Next day do your day trip thru Amalfi coastal areas. 3rd night in Sorrento. Next morning, head for Pompeii. Finish up Pompeii in the early-late afternoon and head to Rome.

You'll have a wonderful time. Italy is a magical place.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 08:44 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>changing trains in Rome and Naples<<<<

I've trained from Florence to Naples/Sorrento and didn't have to change in Rome. It will depend on the train you book.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Is it still rainy the further south you go? Is Amalfi a better bet during that timeframe? If we cut Cinque Terre, what would you add to?
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 05:52 PM

It can be rainy all along the coast in April. The Amalfi is better later in the month than in the beginning.

If you love water, add a day to Venice and a day to Sorrento. You will need the rest in the beginning and the end of your trip anyway.
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 12:58 AM

Rome is great place to explore, hope you will enjoy these place colosseum, Capitol Hill, pantheon, trivia fountain, Spanish steps, Vatican museum and Sistina chapel there.

In our last trip to Rome Livorno and Naples, we select Rudy’s private tours. We found him through Tripadvisor, he is very kind and having great knowledge in his field.

In my opinion car tour's are the best way to enjoy the beauty of these marvelous cities.
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 04:51 AM

Check out airbnb.com for places to stay. Not as expensive and much more interesting than hotels in Italy.
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 05:13 AM

I agree that you should cut either Cinque Terre or the Amalfi area. As the weather has a better chance of being a bit warmer, I would visit Sorrento and surroundings. Capri is one of our favorite places in Italy but we stayed 3 nights. A day trip gives you an entirely different impression of Capri as it is very crowded during mid day. I wouldn't add it unless you plan to stay.

Add the extra days to Florence (since you plan a day trip) and to Rome. So much to see and do in both cities.

Your trip is a good one for a first time in Italy but as an earlier poster said, "less is more."
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 05:28 PM

A couple of notes:

You haven't allowed time for travel - so you really have less time for every place than you think you have.

I would not do both Cinque Terre and Amalfi Coast. It is kind of early for both. CT there is less to see/do if it;s raining, while the AC - you can still visit Pompeii, the Archeo Museum in Naples, etc.

I would tend to add a day to Venice since you will be jetlaged when you arrive and not up to much. Also IMHO 4 days isn't much for a first trip to Rome.

I would lay out your itinerary including the travel time from one place to another - so you can see more easily know how much time you really have:

April 5 Arrive Venice
April 6/7 tour Venice
April 8 travel from Venice to Florence
April 9 to 12 with one full day trip
April 13 Florence to Amalfi Coast

Naturally you can move things around but you have to give yourself 1/2 to most of a day to get form one city to another - esp if you don't plan on getting trains at 7 am.