Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris to Florence by train (during the day)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2014, 02:40 AM
THR
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I've read so many conflicting stories on the best method of travel between Paris and Florence. One option is to take the train, the other to fly to Pisa. Just trying to ascertain whether the train is a good option as it is more expensive and takes longer.

For context, this is a trip my parents are taking. They're not in a rush (they're spending five weeks between England, France and Italy). Additionally, Dad really enjoys trains (they're taking the Eurostar and the TGV from Provence to Paris at another point in the trip, and will be training around Italy too).

At this point the train will be via Turin or Milan.

Can anyone confirm that the trip is reasonably pleasant? It might not obviously be the most scenic journey you'll ever experience, but that it is actually quite a nice way to travel?

Are there any compelling reasons (aside from cost, time) to take the plane over the train?

Really appreciate your insights.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 03:16 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I would fly Easy Jet Paris Orly to Pisa. That is most likely cheapest and fastest. There is a shuttle bus from Pisa airport to the center of Florence for under $10. There is also a shuttle bus from Paris to Orly airport which is closer to the center of Paris than CDG. The flight takes 1:45.

They would have to take one of the early trains from Florence to Turin Porta Susa that doesn't require changing in Milan (no point in adding more schlepping to the route). That would take almost 3 hours. Then the train on to Paris would take another hours. If they didn't leave early enough to catch the train at departing Turin at 10:15am, they would not get in to Paris at a decent time. Later trains don't seem to get there until about 11:30pm (at least according to schedules on Bahn.de). Do they really want to arrive that late?

I think your dad will have plenty of other train rides to enjoy without adding this very long day.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 03:20 AM

I've done similar journeys and think that if you like train journeys, it's not a bad experience.

The scenery is nothing extraordinary - in France the TGV goes so fast that the countryside is a bit blurry! The most scenic bits will be going through some of the Alps before Turin - though again, this is not a 'classic' scenic route.

I'd take a book, relax and let the time pass pleasantly with a picnic on the train. And possibly take an overnight in Turin, which is well worth a visit.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 03:41 AM
THR
Original Poster

Thanks kybourbon but they're going the other way.

Thanks mjdh1957. They're booked into Florence that night, so they won't overnight anywhere on the way. If it can be pleasant with some reading and a picnic, as you say, then I think they'd prefer the train option. Just wanting to ensure it's not a horrid experience and complete waste of time.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 03:58 AM

My last journey like this was from Turin to Manchester in one day - perfectly feasible though an early start from Turin. I enjoy train journeys and value the ability to get up and stretch, walk around and stand for a bit rather than be crammed into an airline seat.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 04:02 AM

Oh sorry. Still, I would want them to have only one change if possible. They would need to take either the 6:41 or 10:41 departures from Paris to Turin in order to make a train with no stops on to Florence (departing 16:25 or 18:14).
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 04:27 AM

If they enjoy long train rides - and I do - in comfortable modern trains yes take the train - see the France and Italy in between Paris and Florence.

IME of years of European rail travel for my parents on the trip of a lifetime I'd pay extra to go first class - lots more relaxed in many ways - seats are bigger - often more empty seats than 2nd class (which ain't bad) - easier to stow luggage, etc.

If traveling enough on trains look at a first-class Eurailpass pass of some type - like the France-Italy Eurailpass covering trains in each country.

For lots of great info on trains in France and Italy check out these IMO superb sources: www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.seat61.com and www.ricksteves.com.

There is also an overnight train to Milan from Paris and then go on to Florence in the morning if that kind f experience appeals to them.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 04:30 AM

I am a little uncertain of the routing for this trip. You asked for advice on a Paris to Florence journey. You also say they will be traveling from Provence to Paris at some point. Perhaps a short itinerary would be helpful to those trying to provide advice/answer your questions.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 04:30 AM

If you reserve in time, the Air France flights from CDG to Florence are not impossibly expensive. They leave from the very remote 2G terminal at CDG but are the most practical option. There are also Vueling flights to Florence but my experience is that Vueling often has baggage problems when flying to/from Florence. Pisa airport is a reasonable alternative.

Paris to Florence by train: you have to connect either at Torino P.S. or at Milan Porta Garibaldi; connections to Italo trains possible at both stations. The trip is quite long and the connections may not be the most practical ones. There is a political reason under this situation: Trenitalia (the main Italian railway carrier) does not really believe in international links, as trains cannot compete on price with budget airlines on longer itineraries; so international services to/from France are run by SNCF (the French state railway operator). Also, SNCF is associated with Italo (the Trenitalia competitor), so Trenitalia tries to make them connect at secondary stations like Torino P.S. and Milan P.G. where less frequent connections are available.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 04:37 AM
THR
Original Poster

Hi mamcalice,

I am not requesting any advice or information on Provence to Paris. They have already booked that. I was merely including that for context. The only advice I am requesting is Paris to Florence. Apologies if that was not clear for you.

Thanks for the input PalenQ. That's great. Definitely intending on them travelling first class for this leg (they will be for all legs except the Eurostar from St Pancras to Avignon). Your insight helps to reassure that the train can be enjoyable (I know Dad is certainly keen on it).

asps: Thanks for that information. Very useful to have that background! I did have a quick look at the Air France flight but they are impractically expensive compared to flying to Pisa, or the train. I will review the connections and options when the train goes on sale (in 3-4 days time).
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 04:46 AM
THR
Original Poster

asps, I actually just checked the flights on Air France and you're right - quite reasonably priced. Thanks for that information.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 05:35 AM

They're not in a rush (they're spending five weeks between England, France and Italy)>

if not in a hurry consider breaking it up and going via Switzerland and staying about half way in the Interlaken area, to many the absolute highlight of Switzerland - glacier-girdled mountains in view from hotel balconies, etc.

Take TGV to Bern - local train to Interlaken

stay a few days

then train to Milan and Florence

this is a much more scenic route as well.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 05:46 AM
THR
Original Poster

Sorry, when I say not in a rush - I mean spending an additional half day travelling is not an issue. They have accommodation booked in Florence for that night.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 06:32 AM

I don't understand how you think this could be a half day traveling? It would be a full day of train travel. Paris/Milan is listed as 7 hours plus another 1:45 on to Florence. Paris/Turin is 5 1/2 - 6 hours plus about 3 more hours to Florence. That's a full day on trains (not counting time getting to the correct station in Paris from their hotel very early in the morning).

You mentioned your dad enjoys trains. What about your mom? If she is up for a full day on a train, then go for it.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 06:56 AM

I live in Florence and my brother in Paris so he has throughly explored all possible opportunities. If you reserve early Air France tickets are not so expensive and you do not get the cattle service of budget airlines - there is no space to spare on airplanes in any case, as the Florence runway is short and only small enough airplanes can land. The more you wait, the steeper the price on Air France.

I suspect that the problem with Vueling is that they use airplanes a bit too large for the Florence runway. If any weather problem is developing - say the runway is wet of visibility is too low - first they make the airplane lighter by unloading or not loading baggage; in some cases (ask my brother) they simply do not board all the passengers in order to keep the airplane light.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 07:52 AM

You mentioned your dad enjoys trains. What about your mom? If she is up for a full day on a train, then go for it.>

mom can fly and pops can take the train!
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 01:31 PM
THR
Original Poster

Kybourbon, I said an additional half day - as compared to flying. We're all aware it is the full day.

They've decided to stick with the train. Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated!
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 02:43 AM
THR
Original Poster

PalenQ, I am sure Mum will enjoy the train too As much as to enjoy the quiet company of the trip with each other.
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 06:32 AM

Milano Centrale is a huge station - try to leave as much time for changing trains there as possible!
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 06:41 AM

Milano Centrale is also one of the grandest stations I've ever seen, so a wander around to admire it is well worth a bit of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -