Italy dilemma: how to fit in Orvieto?

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy dilemma: how to fit in Orvieto?

I seek advice about my itinerary! It looks like my original plan (see below) won't work because the museums in Florence will be closed on Monday. I don't want to cut short our time in Venice, so it looks like we'll have to stay in Florence through Tuesday.

How can I still fit in a trip to Orvieto? Should we do Orvieto as a daytrip from Florence on Monday when the museums are closed? Or should I cut a day from Rome and visit Orvieto on Wednesday? Or should I just forget about Orvieto altogether and savor our time in the big three?

Much thanks!

Original Plan:
Thursday 12/15 Arrive in Venice (11:45 a.m.)
Friday 12/16 Venice
Saturday 12/17 Venice
Sunday 12/18 Morning in Venice; afternoon train to Florence
Monday 12/19 Florence
Tuesday 12/20 Early morning train to Orvieto (overnight in Orvieto)
Wednesday 12/21 Early morning train to Rome
Thursday 12/22 Rome
Friday 12/23 Rome
Saturday 12/24 Rome
Sunday 12/25 Fly home from Rome
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:34 PM

Is this your first trip to the big 3?
With all due respect to Orvieto, which I haven't been to yet, I'd not add it in as an additional stop on a relatively short trip.
Stay Tuesday in Florence, take an evening train to Rome. Then you will have 4 full days in Rome. If you absolutely want to, on the third of those days go to Orvieto as a daytrip, or else discover that you still want that day exploring Rome.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:42 PM

Orvieto is fascinating, but with only 10 days I'd stick to the Big 3. You'll need all your time in each place to see as much as possible, and, believe me, you won't see all that you want to.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:44 PM

Slow down!
Listen to Elaine, who speaks wisely. Florence is a jewel, worthy of some time there, for reasons other than the museums. You have your plate full with the big three in a relatively short span of time, and like Elaine said, if you run out of things to do in Rome (????!!!) and your heart yearns that badly for Orvieto, it can be pleasant daytrip from Rome pretty easily.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:47 PM

Warningh: what follows is very biased.

Whatever you do, don't cut your time in Rome short for Orvieto! Actually, I've never been to Orvieto either--every time I go to Rome I say "This time I will daytrip to Orvieto," but then I find so much to do and enjoy in Rome I never make it anywhere else.

I do understand your desire to see one of the hilltowns Italy is known for. From Florence on Monday it might be easier to day a daytrip to either Siena (bigger, but plenty to see) or San Gimignano. Or is your heart set on Orvieto?

Good luck, but I don't think you can go wrong whichever itinerary you choose.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:01 PM

I may be wrong ( it has happened) but aren't the museums closed on Monday in Florence? I noticed that Monday is your full day in Florence. But of course I do not know what you are planning to do in Florence.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick and ardent responses! Any strong dissents out there with the suggestions to skip Orvieto this time?

I like the suggestion of waiting until we arrive in Rome to see if we still want to visit Orvieto on the third day. The other possibility is to use that Monday in Florence...

Leely, you suggested that a Monday daytrip from Florence to Siena might be easier than a daytrip from Florence to Orvieto. Is is that much farther to Orvieto? From looking at the trenitalia website, travel times by train look roughly the same for both towns (~1 hour and a half).
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:18 PM

You could take the bus to Siena, rather than the train. It is pretty fast and convenient.
http://www.turismoverde.com/italia/trasport/bus6fi3.htm
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 05:46 AM

Suggestions for a Monday in Florence when many museums are closed:
On a Monday you can visit the Duomo, the Campanile, the Baptistery. You can take a 20 minute bus ride (#13) up to Piazelle Michelangelo for a gorgeous view of Florence, especially at dusk. The Santa Croce church (where many notables have tombs, including Michelangelo and Machiavelli), as well as most other churches, are usually open every day. The Palazzo Vecchio is open on Mondays, as is the Museo dell Opera del Duomo which is small,& has wonderful sculptures including a late Pieta by Michelangelo. The Bargello museum and the Museo di San Marco (both of which I loved) are open on two Mondays of the month; you'll have to check for the schedule for the time you will be there.

Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 06:00 AM

I think that is a lot of time in Rome. You could easily drop a day and still see everything easy. Then you could add that day to Florence. I don't know how old you are, but if you are fairly young and energetic, you can see the main Roman sites in 3 days. Rome is a big, dirty, crowded city and it wears on you pretty quickly, especially if you just left the pleasant locales of Venice and Florence.

Once you get to Florence you'll find that 1.5 days is way too short especially if all the museums are closed one of the days. But like I said, I would remove the extra day from Rome instead of the one small town you have on the trip.

I don't know anything about Orvieto but loved Siena! (I don't think you can take the train to Siena or maybe it dropped you outside of town). Pisa is also easy to get to from Florence as a half day trip by train.

~gnr~

Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 06:24 AM

Gnrbernstein is a fool! I've spent months in Rome and haven't seen it all.You certainly haven't allowed too much (not enough,in my book!) time there.I have been to Orvieto,it's a short 1 hour train ride from Rome. It's a lovely daytrip,but I'd put it on the next itinerary.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 08:31 AM
DRJ

While I wouldn't cut out any part of Rome, Orvieto is wonderful and a one hour trip from Rome by rail. My reason for a few hours in Orvieto: I Sette Consoli. My favorite restaurant in all of Italy.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 09:23 AM

massagediva - Maybe if you were capable of reading instead of insulting people you'd see that I said it was plenty of time to see the main points of Rome. If Lil wanted to see absolutely everything, he/she'd move there.

Learn some manners.

~gnr~
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 09:43 AM

Actually,I'm a pretty good readerquot;You could easily drop a day and still see everything easy."

Yes,I apologize,I could have been more gentle,but that's quite a statement you made.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 09:50 AM

Actually, we thought Rome was less crowded and dirty and noisy and traffic clogged than Florence.

Even though Rome has a lot more people than Florence does, the sights in Rome seemed more spread out, and so were the sightseers. I'd cut time out of Florence, if anywhere.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 10:19 AM

I agree with Rufus, if you have to cut a day, cut it from Florence, unless you are a true Renaissance art buff and want to see the many many art museums and churches.
Rome is quite spread out, the metro doesn't take you that close to everywhere you'd want to go, and it takes a while to get yourself from one place to another.
I'd still try to daytrip if the logistics work out, packing and unpacking just to spend part of one day there will waste some of your precious time.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 10:24 AM

I'm going to Rome for the 4th time this spring - so, while I love it, I have found it intense (as are Venice and Florence) and sometimes need a day away to slow down and enjoy respite from the pace of these 3 big cities. While some may say this is foolish, I would include Orvieto as an alternative to the loud, crowded, intensity you'll experience in these wonderful cities.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 05:21 PM

I don't think it's foolish, it's a choice, but one that can be made while already in Rome, if that appeals.