I'm travelling alone in Europe for my first time and would really appreciate some advice. Really looking forward to this trip, it's my last holiday as I finish Uni and before I start full time work. So it may be awhile before I get to do something like this again!
I have around 2 weeks from mid December and I'd really love to see: Rome, Venice, Florence, Pisa and Pompeii.
I'm particularly interested in the historical aspects of Italy. (Renaissance, Mt Vesuvius etc)
I'm not a huge art fan and wouldn't spend all day in a gallery but I wouldn't mind some of this also!
Budget wise I'm not too bad, I have some savings from working while studying. However if I don't decide to go in a group tour I'd definitely prefer hostels or airbnb's as it's just a nice way to meet others and immerse yourself in the city over hotels in my opinion.
I was actually considering taking this Contiki tour as I've never travelled alone before and haven't been around Europe very much. http://www.contiki.com/destinations/europe/tours/191-simply-italy-winter#
I've read around these forums and saw that many attractions have quite variable hours in Italy so I feel like going on a tour would be very helpful for a fairly inexperienced European traveller like myself!
However, I am also aware that Contiki tours are fairly party orientated and may not allow me to see as much of the sights as I would like? I'm not much of a nightlife type of person. However, most other group tours as far as I am aware of are not really running in this time period, and those dates are actually perfect for myself.
Does anyone have any recommendations on other group tours? Or would you recommend travelling solo?
Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 2 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 3 Trenitalia - lost and found
- 4 Wierd Europe map
- 5 Where to stay for Mont Saint-Michel
- 6 Lost property at Fiumicino airport Rome
- 7 UK Mid- May drive week Cornwall
- 8 HOW MUCH SHOULD I TIP THE PILOT
- 9 First time in Normandy & Brittany
- 10 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 11 Ham tacos and the toilet isn't sucking mud
- 12 Transportation in Brittany
- 13 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 14 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 15 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 16 Paris Apartment
- 17 Chinese new year festivities in Paris
- 18 Milan airport--which one
- 19 Which Area in London?
- 20 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 21 Visit to France
- 22 Headed to Madrid in the Spring
- 23 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 24 family trip to Germany and more
- 25 Trains - website?
Italy December 2 weeks. First time travelling alone - Group tour or solo?