Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy/Croatia Potential Itinerary Advice?

Old Feb 27th, 2017, 09:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Europe for about 11/12 full days in May/June time. I'm pretty open to any countries, but I am currently thinking somewhere around Italy/Slovenia/Croatia. I would appreciate any insight on my potential itinerary. Sorry for some of the vagueness (i.e. Tuscany), but we want to figure out the general transportation/where we will fly in and out of, and will then flesh out some of the details. Itinerary:

Fly into Venice (day 1)
Venice to Tuscany (day 1)
Tuscany (4 nights)
Trieste to Zagreb (try to see 1 or 2 cities in Slovenia, i.e. Ljubljana, we would like to stop here, but it is not our main priority, so we are fine with a few hours here) (3 hour drive or 3.5 hour bus ride) (day 5)
Zagreb (1 or 2 nights)
Zagreb to Dubrovnik (Plitvice lakes, Split, Krka National Park) (we will most likely only stop at one of these) (day 6 or 7)
Dubrovnik (day trip to Mostar) (2 or 3 nights)
Fly back to Venice
From here we will have 1-2 days in Venice, and then fly out

The biggest problem I'm having is getting back to Venice from Dubrovnik, as it takes a lot of time. We could potentially fly into one city, and out from another, but it's not looking like the most cost-effective plan. If anyone has experience with an Italy - Croatia trip and has some ideas to make better use of our time, it would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 01:08 AM
kja

I’m sorrry to say it, but I don’t think this plan is realistic – too many places for your time.

The itininery you are suggesting is, in my opinion, way too ambitious. I recommend that you get some good guidebooks (or spend some time with a few in your local library), identify the things you most want to see in each location, check their opening/closing times on the internet, and mark them on a calendar. Pencil in your transportation, add some time on either side (for getting to/from your lodging, checking in/out, packing/unpacking, getting oriented, etc.). Then see how things fit together.

Some details with this particular plan:
- Ljubljana may be one of the most charming cities in all of Europe. Too bad you won’t have time to see it.
- I can not imagine how you would make your way from Zagreb to Dubrovnik in 1 or 2 day. The Plitvice Lakes National Park easily deserves a walk of 6 or 7 hours. Depending on your interest, Split could easily take several days. Getting to and from the Krka National Park will take at least a half day….
- Mostar is magical after daytrippers leave, and unpleasantely cramped before then.

Why are you trying to return to Venice for your departure? Open jaw flights – into one city and out of another – rarely cost more, particularly once you consider the time and cost of returning to your point of origin.

You haven’t told us anything about your interests, but I must admit that I have trouble imagining any set of interests that would be well served by the plan you are proposing. JMO.

Good luck1
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kja for your response! I definitely agree with you, after thinking more about my itinerary, I think I'm going to go in a completely different direction. I'm looking into more of Eastern Europe, and places that require much less driving around.
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 03:15 AM

Solution 1:
skip Tuscany and go by direct bus from Venice airport to Ljubljana and then by train to Zagreb.
Solution 2:
skip Tuscany and go by train from Venice Mestre to Trieste and by bus to Rijeka - Karlovac (may be Zagreb) - Plitvice - Zadar - Sibenik/Krka Park - Split - Islands - Dubrovnik......
Solution 3:
go by train from Venice Mestre to Trieste and by bus to Rijeka - Karlovac (may be Zagreb) - Plitvice - Zadar - Sibenik/Krka Park - Split - ferry - Ancona - train - Foligno - Perugia - Tuscany - Venice.

BTW: Volotea flights from Dubrovnik to Venice are cheap, if booked well ahead.