italy, croatia, budapest, germany, france, spain, portugal adventure

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2017, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi i am looking to travel to Europe for 50 days from July- September with my friend we are 23, and 25. I was hoping for advice on traveling whether it was best to buy a eurorail, or plane from place to place or what would be best. We are looking to spend 3-5 days in each city/country and i would love recommendations on where to go, what to see, places that are not too packed, hostels. we are planning to go to:
Italy- milan, venice, and rome
Croatia
Hungary- budapest
Germany- stuttgart
France-paris
Spain- madrid, barcelona
Portugal

If you have any advice please help! i'm having a hard time figuring out the euro rail passes and whether or not it'll be worth it. We are going to be backpacking and we would like to do things that won't cost an arm and a leg but can help us save some money so we can use that for other fun things.

Thank You!!
Old Jan 13th, 2017, 03:07 PM

I suggest you get a copy of Europe Through the back door by Rick Steves. He has charts that will help you decide whether you should go point to point or get a Eurail pass.
Old Jan 13th, 2017, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, spend a lot of time reading the info at seat61.com. A combination of cheap flights and point to point rail tickets may well work out best, but you have to research each leg yourself.

The RS book will tell you how to plan your itinerary.
Old Jan 13th, 2017, 04:17 PM
kja

Another option: <i>The Rough Guide to First-Time Europe</i>. I would recommend buying at least one good guidebook, but you can also consult them at your local library.

One thing to consider: Covering so much distance means spending a disproportionate amount of your time in transit rather than actually seeing places. You might want to consider trimming your destination wishlist and limiting yourself to just one or two regions of Europe. JMO.
Old Jan 14th, 2017, 05:33 AM

What's your itinerary, which places do you want to visit exactly?
Budapest - Zagreb - Villach - Venice - Rome - Milan - Stuttgart - Paris - Madrid - Lisboa by train would be possible. A Eurailpass may not be the cheapest way to do that, however.
Forget railpasses if you plan to visit places like Dubrovnik, Hvar, or Istria.
Old Jan 14th, 2017, 07:16 PM

For such a long trip, covering multiple countries, the Eurail pass is usually not very economical (given that there is an international reservation charge on most cross-country trains). You should look at buying point to point tickets with a plane ride for very long distances. Some destinations may also give you a good overnight train option.

We travelled from Barcelona to Istanbul last summer. See below for our itinerary.

https://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic....html#76500317

Happy to answer any specific questions.