Search

Italy Croatia & Prague?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy Croatia & Prague?

Hello!

I'm planning on taking my mom to Italy and Croatia next fall for her 60th (her dad was born in Northern Italy, which is now part of Croatia). However, my husband also has an opportunity to attend a conference in Prague around the same time, so I thought we could put it all together, since I've been dying to go to Prague!

Just wondering if it's possible to do all 3 in a relatively tight time span. What will likely happen is my mom and I will do Italy, meet my husband in Croatia, send my mom home, head to Prague or that in reverse. The conference is Oct.11-14, so I don't know if weather will make a difference which way we do it? Transportation from one country to the next. Because I have a 3-wk maximum, we'd like to be really efficient here and get to places quickly but still cost-efficient...
I've been to Italy recently, so I'm aware of costs there, but what are Croatia and Prague like??

Any thoughts at all are greatly appreciated! It's a long way off so actual planning won't start for a while, but I need to do some preliminary research to see if it's even a possibility!

Thanks!!
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 11:32 AM

Yes, that is doable. But I am curious what part of Italy is now Croatia---do you perhaps mean Slovenia. You will need to get more specific on locations before you can get good advice.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 01:06 PM

Hi
Istria in Croatia was formerly part of Italy along with Trieste being part of Italy. After WW2 Trieste became Italian and Slovenia and Istria became part of Yugoslavia until the brealkup. Until about 1948 Trieste was patroled by US, British and Yugoslavia. Istria, if that is where you are going is a great place to visit. we were there about 2 yrs. ago and it still felt Italian and was bi-lingual.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 03:32 PM

Meagan,

An interesting situation.

So, you fly into Venice with Mom in late September. Possibly you'll catch the last hydrofoil from Venice to Pula in Istria, which should be Dad's home turf. Spend some time in Istria with Mom and train back to Vienna through Ljubljana (or return to Venice), where Mom flies home. Then it's a short plane/train ride to Prague to meet hubby.

If you want to expand on this, I would suggest taking the ferry from Istria down to Dalmatia (Split/Dubrovnik) for a few days and flying back to Bratislava/Vienna via SkyEurope.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Hello All! Thanks for your responses so far. Some more info: My grandfather was born in Fiume, Italy which is now Rijeka, Croatia. It has changed has so many times since he was a little boy, it was hard to keep track! I was hoping to fly into Florence (I loved Florence so much, I want her to see it too), do VEnice, then Rijeka. Mom flies out of Croatia (Zagreb?) Meet husband in Rijeka (maybe do some whitewater kayaking while in Croatia? My husband doesn't like to travel without getting some kayaking in!), head to Prague for 5 days for conference. For transportation, I was thinking train from Florence to Venice and then I got stuck as I'm not familiar with transportation in Czech or Croatia! Any suggestions are appreciated!!
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Fairhope

I am always amazed at how smart the posters are on this forum. Bless you

Old Jul 4th, 2005, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

anyone else?
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 05:16 AM

From Venezia to Rijeka, the easiest route is by train to Trieste (hourly trains taking about two hours), then by bus (several daily, taking under three hours - www.autotrans.hr, www.saf.ud.it).
I once talked to two old ladies in Veli Losinj who had been born in Italy, then later lived in Yugoslavia and now Croatia, but had always lived in the same town. They were sisters and their mother had been born in Austria - the town was in the Austrian empire before the first world war.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 09:28 AM

Meagan,

If you can schedule your departure from Venice on October 5, you could take a hydrofoil ferry from Venice to Porec:

http://www.venezialines.com/eng/index-en.htm

It would avoid the border delays. This link also lists combined car hire packages upon arrival in Porec to get you to Rijeka and around Croatia while you're there.