Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy Car Rental- Where to pick up in Venice? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-car-rental-where-to-pick-up-in-venice-702716/)

jcepk1 May 5th, 2007 01:05 PM

Italy Car Rental- Where to pick up in Venice?

We are looking at renting a car to visit Lake Como a few days before heading to Tuscany for five days for a friend's wedding. I thought of renting the car in Venice and returning to Pisa when we depart. What location should I choose to pick up in Italy? We are staying at Foscari Palace. Thanks!

Girlspytravel May 5th, 2007 02:31 PM

Well, that's easy enough. You're right next to the Ca d'Oro vaporetto stop, and directly across from the Rialto Fish and Veggie Market. Just take the #1 vaporetto up to Piazzale Roma, which is where you pick up your land-based transportation, and you have all your car rental agencies there waiting for you.

bobthenavigator May 5th, 2007 04:31 PM

There is only one place---Piazzale Roma.

jcepk1 May 5th, 2007 09:13 PM

Thank you. When I was on Autoeurope.com they gave me four or five options, so, I wasn't sure. They said the one train station, a few other locations and then of course the airport. I will look for that one on the list.

jjkbrook May 5th, 2007 09:30 PM

ditto. You want to pick up at Piazzale Roma - which is actually IN Venice and easily accessible. No point in going to Venice Mestre, the airport etc.

ira May 6th, 2007 07:06 AM

Hi JC,

>When I was on Autoeurope.com they gave me four or five options,

The options are VCE, Mestre train station and 3 locations at Piazzale Roma.

((I))

NeoPatrick May 6th, 2007 08:02 AM

AutoEurope may even give you four or five options all at Piazzale Roma. That is because each actual agency (Hertz, Avis, Europcar, etc) has their own place. That is why I always pick up the phone and call AutoEurope as an agent can help get you the best deal without your trying each individual address (meaning a separate agency) for each estimate.

ekscrunchy May 6th, 2007 08:10 AM

I am wondering why, in the article on Apulia in today's New York Times, the writer (who has lived in Italy) recommends renting from Maggiore, the agent for Hertz and National, I believe.
Any merit to this?

caroline_edinburgh May 6th, 2007 08:12 AM

I recently booked a hire car to do exactly the same, picking up in Venice & dropping off at Pisa airport. While some companies I tried online gave a choice of Piazzale Roma or the airport, somehow the PR option never seemed to work so I ended up booking a car for picking up at the airport.

I don't suppose you are a) British and b) a member of Air Miles, are you ? The best price I got was through them (using money, not miles) - £160 for 8 days, one way hire, everything included except the optional excess waver insurance which we don't bother with. It is actually with Avis but the Air Miles was a lot better than their own.