Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy car rental: What model (2 people)? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-car-rental-what-model-2-people-721787/)

JeanneB Jul 18th, 2007 03:46 AM

Italy car rental: What model (2 people)?

We plan to pick up a car at Florence airport for driving around Tuscany (6 days, drop off Orvieto). 2 people, 2 suitcases (24"), 2 small carry-ons.

I think we'd be fine with an economy model, but I can't figure out the trunk configurations. We want to park with luggage on board but not visible. Most models look like a hatchback (Chevy Matiz, Punto, VW Polo). Fleet guides refer to "trunk capacity"---7 cu ft, 9 cu ft, etc.---but what does that mean in a hatchback? (Sorry, I don't know much about cars). Do we assume only "trunk" means out of sight?

Since we won't need the back seat, do any models have those "screens" to hide contents?

Specific question about Auto Europe:
We had thought we'd wait until fall specials come out. But, from others' posts, I take it AE will let us cancel and re-book at the lower rate if that comes along. Is that right?

TuckH Jul 18th, 2007 04:13 AM

You most definitely want a 'hatchback' and that means your luggage will be out of sight with a 'screen'. The models you mention would be fine.

Warning: don't get overconfident. Just because your belongings are hidden, don't underestimate the thieves. No matter what, do not leave anything of value in the car. This would be especially the case when, for instance, you pull over and get out of the car for a quick 5 minute photo op or peek at something.

Re: AE cancellation policy - yes.

Grinisa Jul 18th, 2007 05:30 AM

My husband and I usually get Fiat Puntos or Pandas. Roomy enough for two people and their luggage. Yes, the hatchback models have a screen that hides luggage. A low cost theft deterrent is to leave an Italian language newspaper in a conspicuous location in the car.

Flame123 Jul 18th, 2007 05:41 AM

Grinisa - what a fabulous idea!! Thanks for the tip. After reading so many stories of thieves targeting the autostrada rest stops, on our last trip we always left a poor soul in the car when going to the bathroom or getting something to eat. When we returned that person went out. I just did not want to begin a vacation with misery of having something stolen.

JeanneB Jul 18th, 2007 05:48 AM

Thanks for the warning. I'd imagine it's fairly easy to get distracted with scenic views in Tuscany! Will do our best to remain vigilant.

I received an email from MyAir.com. They offer a Lancia Yipsolon for only $315, inclusive w/ no one way fee. Or Opel Corsa 1.2 for $325. (Avis connection). That compares to $367 for a Chevy Matiz on Auto Europe. Anyone out there ever used My Air? For that small a diff I'd probably go with AE unless someone says the Matiz is to be avoided.

tcreath Jul 18th, 2007 05:50 AM

In my past experiences the model that I booked is not the model that I end up with. Usually I end up with a bigger model. Normally I would be thrilled, but in Europe, and particularly Italy, smaller is better. You may want to reconfirm that they do in fact have your model a few days before your departure if its one that you really want.

Tracy

JeanneB Jul 18th, 2007 01:26 PM

I've got a great quote from Car Rental Express. Anyone used them? It's "all inclusive" and the CDW/Theft has zero deductible. But I can't tell if one-way fees are going to be added after I put in my credit card. Nor can I find a phone number. Anyone?

[We've also decided to drive on down to FCO and turn the car in there, catch the express train into Rome.]

Michael Jul 18th, 2007 01:33 PM

Leaving a local newspaper on the seat of the car is probably not effective. Unless there has been a change, Italian plates identify the province where the car originated. Once you leave that province, your car belongs to an outsider, whether Italian or of another nationality, and is more likely to attract a thief's attention than a local car.

Grinisa Jul 18th, 2007 02:02 PM

Well, an Italian language newspaper (not necessarily "local" but a nationally distributed paper) may not be as effective a deterrent as say, a Rottweiler in the car, but it can't hurt. And provincial codes have not been part of the license plates since 1994. On plates issued after 1999, the owner has the option, to add a small two letter code provinical code to the plates, but that costs extra.

daveesl Jul 18th, 2007 05:33 PM

We used Car Rental Express last Christmas in Italy. They were excellent. Price was $200 lower than with Auto Europe, CDW $0 deduct at no charge, rental actually came through AutoEuropa, pickup in Rome, drop off in Milan. Had the Fiat Punta (?sic), ran fantastic, great mileage and lots of room. Rome-Paestum-Milan.

I was always an Auto Europe fan before this, now CRE has me, but I'll always compare.

dave

janisj Jul 18th, 2007 05:38 PM

as explained - a hatchback is what you want and the rear "trunk" will have a cover.

One thing to remember - never park, get out, stow things in the back, lock up and walk away. You will be watched. All bags should be hidden from view before you stop and park.

JeanneB Jul 18th, 2007 06:20 PM

Great advice from everyone! Thanks so much for all your help. I feel confident now to go ahead and book the CRX.

Ciao!

caroltis Jul 18th, 2007 07:39 PM

For driving through Tuscan hill towns you need a car with some power. We had a Puegeot in Provence and it was great...then we got to Italy and they gave us a Fiat...it was pathetic...had very little power and made driving in the hills a little frustrating.

aeiger Jul 19th, 2007 01:10 PM

Hi
we've been renting a Mercedes A150 for the past couple of years and am going to request one again. Its a small mini van with a covered hatch. Very comfortable and thrifty. we get the automatic. If it were sold in the US, I would buy it.