Major Change to Our Upcoming Paris Trip

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major Change to Our Upcoming Paris Trip

This post will probably be long and I might ramble on a little, but please if you can give me any advise, it would be greatly appreciated.

My crazy boyfriend decides now that he would rather go to Italy than Paris and Amsterdam (we are leaving two weeks - on 7/28). I'm totally okay with this because originally we wanted to go to Italy, but boyfriend is a HUGE Rolling Stones fan (I am not) and he wanted to see them play in Amsterdam and when I originally looked into going from Amsterdam to Italy I thought it was too much time traveling (we are only going for a week). I've already booked the tickets months ago to Paris and got a decent fare on AA ($975/pp). I looked into changing the destination and paying the additional fare plus change fee, but it came out to an additional $1470/pp.

Today, I booked tickets through Easy Jet to get from Orly to Naples and then from Rome to Orly to catch our flight home. It was much cheaper this way as opposed to flying AA into Rome.

So, here is our new itinerary:

7/29 7:30 AM arrive Paris
12:30 PM Easy Jetflight from Orly
to Naples

7/29 through 8/2 Stay in Sorrento

8/2 through 8/5 Stay in Rome

8/5 8:30 AM Easy Jet flight from Rome to
Orly

Our flight back to NY does not leave Paris until 5:50 PM on 8/5 so I think the whole itinerary works.

So, here's where I need help.

Since yesterday afteroon I've been doing a tremendous amount of research here for hotels in Sorrento. It is overwhelming and making my eyes burn. So far, both the La Minervetta (recommended here) and the Hotel Continental (recommended by a friend) are not available. The Il Nido is available. I know Il Nido has been recommended on this forum. I am a little concerned though about how far it is into the town center and that it is not directly on the bay? I want a hotel directly on the water. Willing to spend 200 EU per night. Any recommendations?

Thank you so, so much. I am now about to research Rome hotels....

Squiggy

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 07:23 AM

So what happened to Amsterdam and the Stones? Now that Keith has his head back together (ahem) after falling out of a tree in Fiji, how can your boyfriend miss the tour? Surely you could fly from Amsterdam or nearby Rotterdam to the south of Italy - with transavia or some other budget airline?

WK
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Nope, told boyfriend if he wanted to do Italy he had to give up the Stones. He's seen them so many times, doing their thing, playing the same stuff that the only difference is the novelty of seeing them play in Amsterdam. He first suggested yesterday (before I changed the trip) that we fly from Milan to Stuttgart, Germany to see them. Not! LOL!

Thanks for you suggestion though.

Squiggy

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 08:54 AM

. He's seen them so many times, doing their thing, playing the same stuff that the only difference is the novelty of seeing them play in ???>>>>>
I can tell you are not a huge fan of live concerts...LOL
I am a huge Springsteen fan and would see him anywhere/anytime..figure it is Gods will that I happen to be in Paris 3 different times at the same time as Bruce...
However my DH questions why I would want to see him "again" when it is the same concert. Of course with Springsteen he mixes up at least 30% from concert to concert but even if he did not...I always tell my DH
You want to go to game after game when StL Cards are playing..why?? It is the same team on field..kinda "seen 1 seen 'um all???" LOL !! of course that is not HIS feeling but at least perhaps he can understand my passion a bit more.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Is there anybody with a hotel suggestions for Sorrento?

Thaks much!

Squiggy
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Hi, Susan...(LOL)...I love live concerts - as a matter of fact going to see Rat Dog at Radio City tomorrow night, Roger Waters in September and I don't know who else in between our Europe trip. And baseball. Don't get me started!! My future M-I-L said if I should get pregnant and God forbid go into labor on Yankees opening day prepare to take a cab to hospital by myself.

Squiggy
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 11:58 AM

I've only been to Sorrento once and I don't remember seeing a lot of hotels on the water. Seems like most were off the main drag in town. Sorry, I don't have a recommendation, except... have you researched on venere.com?
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Zoecat. I was able to get a room at the Continental but only through a travel agent. When I emailed the hotel directly they said they had no availability. However, it's gonna cost me $365 USD/night.

Since then, the Settimo Cielo emailed me that they have availability for $171 USD/night (I inquired yesterday). I think I'm going to cancel Continental and go with Settimo Cielo, this way we'll have more $ to do other things with.

In Rome, we're staying at the Hotel Richmond.

Squiggy