Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it as fun/nuce taking the vaporettos in winter?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're leaving in a few days, and I have been thinking about the vaporetto pass. We are walkers, but know we'll be riding the vaporetto some. The big question I have though is in regard to the time of year. Usually boats and cold weather don't do a thing for me. Will this be any different? I guess what I am asking is if riding the vaporettos would be something we would be doing for enjoyment and to see things or if it will be more a matter of using them for tranportation necessities only. Thanks.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Obviously, I meant fun/nice.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 04:37 PM

I repost my answer to your same question on another thread so this will be topped and garner more repsonses . . .

I suppose it depends on your interests.

The vaporetto gives the best view of the palazzos, whose best side is turned toward the Grand Canal. Riding a vaporetto you get a good view of the many kinds of boats going about daily life--police boats, fire boats, grocery boats, moving boats, traghetti, private boats . . . .

On my visit during Thanksgiving, I was excited to sit outside on a vaporetto and watch canal life going on around me--even in the cold and rain. One of my friends also enjoy this. The other two friends preferred to sit and stay warm and dry inside, no matter the view.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 06:37 PM

I've only done it in the winter, but I thought it was very enjoyable. As mentioned, you get a view you cannot otherwise get.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 07:46 PM

It's great even in the winter. There are often lovely sunny days in winter, but even in the mist its great. If it's really pouring you can sit inside and try to catch a glimps of the passing sights through the misted up windows.

Have fun
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 10:05 PM

Hello julies, I have often been on the vaporettos when it is cold and rainy (and sometimes that has been in nonwinter months). I happen to like the rain. Somehow rain in a way makes everything even more beautiful. I also love boats. So perhaps my feelings won't mesh with yours since you say you do not like boats and cold weather. But personally I have always enjoyed those type of days on the vaporettos, much more then when it is hot and humid.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

I guess I should clarify that typically we are the ones who are always outside on boats so we can get a better view. This obviously isn't as enjoyable when the weather is cold and one factors in the chill from the winds as the boat moves. And, so often, if one is stuck in the inside there is no view because there are too many people crowded in or the windows are steamed up. I guess we'll just wait until we arrive & take our first vaporetto ride in winter weather to see if we think we'll use the boats enough to warrant purchasing a pass.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 04:58 AM

I'm also the one who stayed most of the time on the deck for the view so i can tell you, my last about 10 visits to Venice was mostly in winter, Nov, Dec, Feb and I did take lots of vaporetto for short and long rides and stayed on the deck. Of course it will depend on the weather but many times I had nice to gorgegeous weather even in winter. The following album is from my Christmas visit last year. During the whole stay of 22 - 26 Dec, the weather remained like this. You can see I took many photos from vaporetto. I absolutely had no problem with cold at all. For example I stayed the whole 30 miniute boat ride to Burano, on the back deck, with sun on my head. Also it's up to how you are used to cold.

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...006/?start=all
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Kappa--

Great photos--especially the one from after dark and sunset.

The back deck should be warmer since it is out of the wind. Thanks for the idea. We are from a very cold & snowy climate, so Venice will be much nicer than where we live (I'm looking out my window at a foot of snow with more to come tomorrow).
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 05:53 AM

The vaporetti on the Grand Canal can't move very quickly, so unless there is a strong wind that particular day, the wind from boat movement is negligible. The vaporetti that circle the main island or go to Murano and beyond can be chillier since they move faster and get out into open water.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 06:42 AM

> We are from a very cold & snowy climate, so Venice will be much nicer than where we live ...

Absolutely ! I mean I don't know about nicer than your place ;-) but Venice is surely warmer. It rarely snows there nowadays. If it does it's a bonus. Now that I know now your are used to cold, you will not have much problem. Grand Canal is nice of course but also try vaporetto No.82 on Giudecca Canal that's larger water than Grand Canal. Most of my canal photos on the album above were taken on Giudecca.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 10:27 AM

I love all aspects of Venice in the winter. Lack of sweltering heat, lack of crowds, means a pleasant ride on the vaporetto, and pleasant walks throughout the city!

I'll take rain and acqua alta over sweaty crowds any day!
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 10:39 AM

I certainly did appreciate having waterproof ankle-high boots in December, though.