Help with 11-14 day Italy Itinerary in April

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be taking my first trip to Italy (my wife was there briefly in college) in April. Initial itinerary was Rome to Naples then Florence, Bologna, Venice and back for return trip from Rome. Is this too much for 11-14 days? We prefer a trip with several days in each area, perhaps less in Rome and Venice. Plan to travel by train as much as possible. Specific questions: is Rome worthwhile given length and breadth of trip? Is Amalfi coast a better option then Italian Riviera given that it is April? Wold anyone have specific ideas for hotels/restaurants/not to be missed tours or sites? Any tips for managing luggage traveling between cities on mass transit?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jan 17th, 2016, 09:25 AM

14 days to do all of those places is kind of tight, though. (If 14 days is really an option over 11 days, don't even consider fewer days.)

Can't you do an open jaw into Rome (or Naples) and out of Venice - or vice versa - to save the return trip back to Rome? It's usually the same price or even cheaper to do an open jaw flight to Europe.

You should be able to do almost all of that travel by train. Venice, Bologna, Florence, Rome, and Naples all have speedy train service connecting them. You may do a few day trips by bus.

Can't say whether Rome is "worth" more than Venice or anywhere else, because I may have completely different interests than you. Many people seem to love Rome and prefer spending more time there, not less, although personally it wasn't my favorite (other than the old Roman ruins, which I loved).

But you may want to consider your interests. Museums? Food? Old ruins? Florence is a museum lover's paradise, but if you aren't into museums much, you might limit your time in Florence. Venice is wonderful - but touristy and crowded especially during the day. If you really can't do an open jaw flight into/out of Venice and need to double back to Rome, I would consider cutting it out entirely, given your weight of Rome and Naples and below.
Old Jan 17th, 2016, 09:30 AM

No guarantees, but the Amalfi coast is generally a better option for dry weather than the Italian Riviera in April. If you can, use Naples airport to fly into or out of Italy.

To manage luggage, pack light -- and you will benefit from doing this if your itinerary includes hotels that can only be reached by climbing lots of stairs, which is typical in the Amalfi coast, the Italian Riviera and Venice.