Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy Budget for family of 5? Any ideas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still at the beginning of planning our trip to Italy next summer. I hear over and over again how expensive Italy is (we're going in the summer-- and, no, we can't change the timing, it's set in stone).

Can anyone tell me what we can expect to pay for:
1. An apartment within walking distance of the main sites (doesn't have to be in the center, just close) We are a family of 5?
2. Train tickets?
3. Food?
4. Ferry rides?
5. Museum and other admissions costs?

We're thinking of going to Rome/Florence/Venice/Sorrento. Are some areas more expensive than others (I read Venice is the most expensive)?

We went to Spain last summer and the prices were average (with some savy planning I found us some good deals). We're budget travels and starting to think that Italy with the 3 kids may be over our budget, what do you think?

Thanks!
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 10:48 AM

My suspicion is that a trip for a family of 5 to those 4 places in Italy, in the summer, particularly if you want air conditioning, could easily cost double the Spain trip. But I'd assume at least 1.5x as much.
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 11:12 AM

A random selection of costs, and these are all Venice:
Pizza – a slice to take away – about 2.50
A cappuccino – from 1 euro to 3 euro
Train tickets – for two adults from Assisi to Florence – 62.40
Train tickets – one adult from Venice to Vicenza, about ¾ hour – 13 euro.
Train tickets – two adults – Venice to Assisi – 107 euro
Dish of pasta at a restaurant – about 14 euro, depending on the place.
Ferry tickets in Venice – 6.50 for an adult, but there are 24, 48 and 72 hour passes that are cheaper. You can see a lot of Venice without using ferries.

Now the good news:
A spritz – 2 euro, and they are pretty alcoholic.
Wine – a bottle in a supermarket – thing 4 euro.

Breakfast in our local bar in San Barnaba – 2.10 for a coffee and a brioche.

Bread – 2.99 a kilo.
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 11:14 AM

I can't offer any specific pricing info (except to say that I don't think you'll need to spend anything on ferries). But if you want to visit Italy, which is of course fabulous, consider choosing different locations within Italy. Maybe visit Florence, Venice and a rural area to the north. Or Sorrento and Rome and a rural area to the south. Staying out of the more expensive cities will be your biggest way to cut costs.

I would guess that food costs could be similar to whatever you spent in Spain; that's probably the easiest part of your budget where you can save money, in the same way that you probably handled it in Spain.

Speaking solely from the limited knowledge of our one trip to Spain and many trips to Italy, our hotel costs in Spain were comparable to what they were in Italy (except cheaper than in Venice, which is, as you mentioned, going to be the most expensive).

Some museums, not many in the cities you mentioned above, offer discounts for kids. You may find, once you run the numbers, that renting a car between (NOT IN) cities might be cheaper than taking the train - I don't know if that's the case, but you may want to check.
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 11:25 AM

Renting a car will almost certainly not save you money: in addition to rental, there will be autostrada fees, gas and parking wherever you go. None of these is inexpensive.

How old are the children? If at least one is under 12, s/he travels at 50% off and those over 12 travel at 20% off on the Familia fare (restricted numbers per train). Even if it isn't available, anyone under 12 gets 50% off.
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 05:18 PM

I am going on a similar trip in March. We are a family of 5. We are planning on Venice to Rome to Amalfi coast to Sicily. We have 2 weeks and don't want to break the bank by having to book 2 rooms in each hotel. We are hoping to find apartments or bed and breakfasts. I hope to get some more info off of your site. I love the 1/2 off for those under 12. I have one under 12; one that is 12 and a 16 year old. Can't break the bank either. let's share tips.
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 05:19 PM

IMHO Italy - to live at the same level - will cost about 50% more than in Spain. Hotels are definitely more expensive in any city we've been in - as is food.
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 08:24 PM

We are a family of 7 and we are renting apartments when we visit Italy. Your prices may vary because we are travelling in December (3 weeks!) and we need 2 more beds. All will include a sofa bed as part of the arrangements. We are paying 621 euro for 3 nights in Florence, 531 euro for 3 nights in Venice and 1020 euro for 6 nights in Rome. I figured we would need 3 hotel rooms for the group so apartments were much better and we can save some on meals. Booking train tickets 2 weeks before travel can save you 30% through trenitalia. For apartments, I searched through VRBO.com, sleepinitaly.com, and ApartmentsApart. Buon viaggo!
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 10:36 AM

Our family of four went to Italy in 2009 for 3 weeks. We started in Venice (4 nights)and took the train to Orvieto for 1 night. From there we stayed in Rome for 6 nights. Next was Amalfi for 4 nights, Capri for 2 nights and Sorrento for one night. We used public transportation the entire time (trains, ferries, cabs, buses). We stayed in apts in Venice, Rome, Amalfi and Sorrento and all were very reasonable. In Orvieto, we stayed at a convent and our big slurge was a beautiful B & B on Capri (because we needed to get two rooms). Most of the places averaged about 100 euros per night and all were less than 140 euros. We saved money on the trains by trying to get the "Amica" fare which wasn't always available but we saved the most on food. We typically eat breakfast in (although it was included in the price for Amalfi, Capri and Sorrento) and we eat in either lunch or dinner as much as we can. We do always have plenty of time to go out to eat and enjoy the local food. It all just balances out.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 03:09 PM

marisav....I'd love to know where you are staying. We don't leave till spring and I'd love to hear how it all works out with you. Have a blast....save some gelato for us!!!!
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 03:13 PM

namaka...I'd love to hear where you stayed. Can't find anything in that price range. You must have searched far and wide. Lucky you....do you remember the names? thx
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 03:13 PM

namaka...I'd love to hear where you stayed. Can't find anything in that price range. You must have searched far and wide. Lucky you....do you remember the names? thx
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 05:38 PM

While our apt in Venice was centrally located and a good value, it had some issues so I will not recommend it.

However, we stayed in a VRBO apt 188213 in Rome. We loved everything about this apt from the owners to the price to the location. We would definitely stay here again.

In Sorrento, we stayed at one of the rooms offered by "The Magi house". We originally wanted the apt but since it was only one night we opted for the room (much like a really nice hotel room with a double twin pull out sofa). Here is their website http://www.magihouse.it. This place was super nice and I would definitely stay here again as well.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 05:40 PM

While our apt in Venice was centrally located and a good value, it had some issues so I will not recommend it.

However, we stayed in a VRBO apt 188213 in Rome. We loved everything about this apt from the owners to the price to the location. We would definitely stay here again.

In Sorrento, we stayed at one of the rooms offered by "The Magi house". We originally wanted the apt but since it was only one night we opted for the room (much like a really nice hotel room with a double twin pull out sofa). Here is their website http://www.magihouse.it. This place was super nice and I would definitely stay here again as well.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Great advice, thanks everyone! Keep it coming please! It sounds like we'd need at least 250 euros a night for a place (most likely apartment) to stay in. Also, is there any city that is cheaper than the other in terms of accommodations?
Old Dec 1st, 2010, 09:16 PM

I haven't priced out apartments in Rome for 5, but I am pretty sure you can find something for less than €250! Look at sleepinitaly.com, and for Rome, look around the Pantheon/navona/Campo areas or if you are willing to go just a little farther away, try Trastevere (across the river).
Old Dec 1st, 2010, 09:25 PM

I just looked at the apartment in Trastevere we intended to rent (never got there, but it's a long story) and it is under €200 in July.

http://www.sleepinitaly.com/en/show-...d_appartam=230
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Namaka, where did you stay in Amalfi? Which apartments? Also, just wondering, do you think Sorrento or Amalfi would be a good base? (we want to use it to explore Capri, Pompe, the AC, maybe Naples).

Charness- thanks for the website!
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

andrea- I'll pass anything I find to you but you all are going before us so I'm looking forward to reading about your trip
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 08:53 AM

Ballparking with lodging,transport etc. I would estimate 400-500 euro/day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -