Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy - Best way to travel from Venice to Rome.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am arranging a trip to Italy in Fall 2008. I am looking at airfare prices and it cost the same to fly to either Venice or Rome. If I fly to Venice I'll spend one day (two nights) there before going to Rome. Before people start telling me Venice deserves more time, I should mention that I've been to Venice before and this is the perfect excuse to go back.

What is the best way to travel between the two places.(Venice and Rome). I am travelling solo and I'm concerned about riding on trains by myself since I've heard so many bad stories. Should I take the train or fly.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 10:19 PM

Flying cheap. Why would you not fly? Try Airninja.com

Old Jun 16th, 2008, 10:25 PM

Sorry, I can not advise about flights. However, please let me say you about train. we just returned from our trip to North Italy, and we had not a car there. We could not be happier with any other option: all the kind of trains were clean, not crowded at all, in time. We bought tickets from each train station, waiting in line no more than 5 minutes.

As you travel alone and maybe you are worry about safety: we had a very nice surprize that we did not meet any begger, gipsy, etc as in our previous trip there. The police (carabinieri) was in any place by car or walking and we felt very safe.

Have a nice trip!
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 10:34 PM

Tell us some of the bad stories you've heard.

I have travelled extensively by train in Italy and never have experienced 'a bad story'.

To me the answer is clear; I would do Venice-Rome by train, just to discover some part of the landscape. Also out ou environmental concern, the choice is evident.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 01:01 AM

What is your criteria of being the "best?"

cost? speed? familiarity? less hassle reserving? less hassle once on board?

What are the bad stories? Were they something that could have been prevented by planning ahead?

I can think of many possible examples of "bad" stories: e.g. trying to buy last minutes tickets during major holidays, forgetting to validate tickets (cannot happen on ES trains,) carrying too much luggage, and so on.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 01:26 AM

Hello goingtobeiijing, my personal opinion is that taking the train from the Santa Lucia Train Station in Venice to to Termini Train Station in Rome (about 5 1/2 hour train trip) is so much easier then going to the airport and arriving at an airport in Rome. With taking the train you will be going from the center of Venice to the center of Rome. I personally would not worry about safety on the train as long as you were not dealing with a large piece of luggage and if you used a money belt for your passport, money, credit card and ATM card. Just have a bit of cash (Euros) handy so you will not have to access whatever is in your money belt while travelling.

You say you have heard so many bad stories regarding travelling via the train. What stories and who told you the stories?
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 05:50 AM

We've taken Italian trains of all sizes and types for years, and have never had any unpleasant experiences.

No "bad stories" here.

Have a great trip!

Byrd
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 06:06 AM

I think the train ride from Venice to Rome is closer to 4.5 hours, and definitely as LoveItaly said, city center to city center. No arriving hours ahead at the airport to meet security requirements and wait around, no airport arrival mess at the other end, no time-consuming and agony-inducing trips out of the city to the airports. Timewise, train and plane might take the same amount of time, but the train would have less agony in making the various connections.

I've traveled on the trains in Italy solo and with others many times and never had a problem.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 06:12 AM

I've taken many trains in Italy as solo female and never had the slightest problem.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 06:33 AM

I vote for the train. Get you some good food to eat on train, hop on, relax and have a good journey.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 06:39 AM

Another vote for the train. So much more comfortable than flying, so much more civilized than getting yourself to the airport, hanging around for an hour or more, cramming into a plane, then, upon arrival, getting into Rome and to your hotel.

Other than regarding overnight train trips, I've never heard bad stories. Of course, you do need to watch out for train strikes (scioperi).
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 06:40 AM

You'll lose an hour's advantage off the flying because of tranport time to the Venice airport, then from Rome airport to center.

The train is fine, pleasant countryside, have a lunch or nice wine/cheese snack, relax, write some notes or postcards...

NOTE: carefully consider if you decide to fly into Rome and out of Venice, because most airlines have gawdawful 6:00am flights out of Venice. Last September we chose this routing however Delta had a flight departing around 1:30pm, so much less stress to get there in time.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

I have heard many stories about gypsies targeting tourists on the train.

I am a solo female traveller, I will be travelling with a large suitcase and my wheeling (airline) carry on. Will I have problems with a large 30" suitcase on the Italian trains?

When I asked about the best way to travel between the two places - I meant the most comfortable option with the least amount of hassle.

How do buy my train tickets in advance?

Thanks.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

I know this may sound very stupid, but I'm looking at the trentitalia website, I am automatically directed to the Ferrovie dello Stato website on that website I'm told it is impossible to buy a ticket from Venice to Rome. What am I doing wrong?
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 11:23 AM

'Gypsies' don't get on the train, particularly not on the faster ES trains. You might see them outside train stations, but not on trains.

Personally, I would never travel with a 30-inch suitcase. It's too tricky to drag up and down stairs, especially up and down the narrow train steps. Two smaller bags would be better. Any reason you need such a big bag?

For train schedules and advance tickets:

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Many people have difficulty using this site to reserve tickets. I'd just get a ticket the day you arrive in Venice--at the train station or a local travel agency.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 11:25 AM

You can't buy a ticket more than 60 days in advance. To check schedules and prices input a fake date for next week--be sure to use the same day of the week you plan to travel since weekday and weekend schedules vary.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 11:27 AM

Try www.sbb.ch
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

ellenem, I prefer to travel with a 30" suitcase instead of two smaller suitcases.

Because -

1 30" suitcase + 1 carry on = 2 bags, this is now I usually travel and I have no problem carrying my luggage.

2 smaller suitcase + 1 carry on = 3 bags, I wouldn't be able to move all three bags together.

Also, I will be flying from England and my ticket will allow me 20 kilos of checked luggage, not 2 pcs like on a US to Italy flight/ticket.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 11:44 AM

I didn't know about your other bags.

It's difficult for me to imagine needing that much luggage space.

I typically travel to Europe for two weeks with one 22-inch rolling bag and one smaller shoulder bag that attaches to the top of the 22-inch bag, and a small purse. It's easier for me to move around ttwo smaller bags than a huge one.

You may not enjoy trying to get that 30-inch bag onto the train, but it's only one ride so you may do OK. If you were taking a few more trains, I'd encourage you to rethink your choice.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

ellenem, you make a good point.

Since my trip includes the UK, I will have to take gifts for relatives in the UK, I"ll have to bring back lots of items from the UK for friends and family here, so I do need the 30" bag. If the UK wasn't part of the trip I could easily travel with a smaller bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -