Italy Beaches near Florence

Old May 22nd, 2014, 02:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy Beaches near Florence

I'm currently in Florence for the summer and I'm looking to go to a beach this Saturday. I've read a few things and heard Castiglioncello is a nice spot. So my question for you is what's the best beach/town I can get to by train? Also, any food recommendations in these towns would be very helpful!
Old May 22nd, 2014, 02:55 AM

Castiglioncello is a pleasant town with very small beaches which are tucked between the yacht harbours. Expect the beaches to be very crowded. At most beaches, you have to rent a beach lounger/umbrella. However, just south of Castiglioncello is a spectacular, sandy beach with dunes called Rosignano Solvay - spiaggia. It is so beautiful because it is behind the Solvay salt factory.

At the crossing of SP39 and Via Polveroni, south of the Solvay factory, there is a large parking lot. From there, you have to walk half a mile until you reach the beach. But then you find dreamlike white sand.

An alternative would be the long stretch of sandy beach north of Livorno up to Marina di Pisa around Tirrenia. There you can do long walks along the waterline.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 03:04 AM

I overlooked that you want to go by train. The train from Firenze to Castiglioncello takes 1:42 with changing trains in Pisa. From Castiglioncello you should take a taxi to Rosignano Solvay - spiaggia. Arrange for the return drive or call a taxi with a mobile phone. Or you walk from/to the tiny train station Rosignano, which is 1000 metres one way to the beach (which is quite a bit on a sunny day with towels and things).
Old May 22nd, 2014, 03:27 AM

Viareggio (about 1 1/2 hours by train) or Forte dei Marmi (a few minutes past Viareggio).
Old May 22nd, 2014, 03:27 AM

The quickest beach to get to is Viareggio, where there is a beach within ten minute's walk of the train station. However, it's one of those beaches where you'll have to rent a chair and umbrella in a forest of other identical chairs and umbrellas.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:29 AM

I love Viareggio as a beach and a town.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 06:45 AM

Advising someone to visit the beach at Rosignano Solvay is just insane. It has been polluted for years with mercury and other heavy metals. Just another example of Italian big business not giving two tosses about the environment or the health of others.

The reason why the beach looks like the Exumas (Bahamas) is simply down to the amount of bicarbonate bi products that are sent out though the waste channels directly into the sea. The local councils have banned swimming there but as ever Italians in their vanity regularly use it as opposed to spending £1000 on airfares to the Bahamas.

I also find Viareggio a diabolical place. It is a model up market Italian sort, very prestine and well maintained but in terms of the natural environment it's awful. A little like being treated like a rabbit in a cage.

There are beautiful natural beaches down the coast at Marina di Grosetto, Punta Ala and Castiglione di Pescaia but these are a longer drive.

If you like being treated like a lemming then Viareggio is your place.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 07:07 AM

It's too cold to swim and none of the beach facilities will be open such as hire of sun loungers, parasols or beachside bars, but at least the beach concessions shouldn't be operating so you can just sit down for a spot of sunbathing.