Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy - auto rental for 22 yo - any problems?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DD1 is thinking of spending winter break (1st 2 weeks in Jan 2010) traveling around Italy with college friend. She will be 22, college student, and would like to rent car for a few days (I think train would be better, but I am just the MOM!). Anyone have experience with young rental car experiences in Italy? They want to stay in small towns, outside big cities. Will not have car in Rome, Venice, Florence, only for country side touring. Will she need an International Driver's License? She cannot drive a stick, only an automatic. Any places to pick up other than airport? Thanks!
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 11:01 AM

Hi
Did a little checking Here is what Kemwel said about underage drivers:

Most car rentals cover drivers between ages 30 to 65. If a driver is not within this age range, please inform our customer services staff at the time of the international car rental booking. Some age restrictions may apply in certain destinations and in some cases there may be an additional charge. If applicable, these charges are payable locally.

Also it price an automatic for 1 week in mid Jan. Price range was $585-$900. Seems like a very big expense even if it was shared. Maybe train travel would be better and finding driver for exploration of country side. She will need an International License in Italy. Let her plan out whre and what they want to see then decide how to do the traveling within Italy.

Suzan
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 05:08 PM

I'm not sure touring the countrysid ein the middle of winter is a great idea. It will be chilly to cold, possibly rainy - and no flowers or pretty greenery. Plus it will get dark very early.

We often do road trips and I'm usually a proponent of driving. But at that time of year I think I would stick to trains - you can get to many of the hill towns that way - and for a lot less than $600.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 05:14 PM

I agree about the trains, but if she insists on a car, you could spend a few bucks before she leaves, and have her learn to drive a stick shift. You would come out ahead dollar wise, and she would learn what I think is a necessary life skill.

Old Aug 25th, 2009, 06:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Is she on a budget? They will be able to rent a car at 22 yo. But there will be a substantial young driver surcharge, plus a massive surcharge for an automatic.

(IMO - it would be a great thing if she learns to drive a stick -- HOWEVER, for her to drive a stick in Italy as a brand new learner would be scary/foolish)

But the romance of driving through the Italian countryside will pale soon after the first winter rain storm.

I personally think it is a really bad idea unless they have unlimited funds and have been in the area before.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 08:18 PM

Personally, I agree that this is a bad idea. Having been to Italy, there are no rules to the road. Even the most experienced drives have issues. It is a scary situation being behind the wheel in an international country, much less when they drive as crazy as the Italians. Also, renting a car is expensive. She will need to be of age and have a credit card with a large spending limit on it to even get the car. Minimum I have seen is 25. Automatics cars cost a good bit more than standard. However, if she ends up with a car, it is a good idea (some require) an International Driving Permit. It only translates your American DL into foreign languages.

As a mother, I would buy her a Eurorail pass and tell her it is because you love her.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 12:26 AM

If she hires a car she must have an IDP for Italy - it is the law.
She can get one from your local AAA office - she will need two passport type photos.
There is usually, but not always an extra charge for drivers younger than 25 - some companies have younger than 21, some it depends on how long you've had your licence. You need to check the Terms and Conditions of various companies to see which if any give the best deal.

I assume you are American and she has been driving for a few years now? then I see no problem with her hiring a car. It is not as though she is 18 and just got her licence. She is an adult after all. Let her have the experience of it now, then she won't be so scared to do it in the future.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 01:32 AM

I have driven in Italy and do not think the Italians are crazy drivers. They are very predictable drivers and seem to be very competent. It's much scarier to drive in the US.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Your comments confirm my suspicions. Perhaps I can use these as proof that a train pass would be far wiser. Appreciate the help!
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 05:36 AM

A train pass is a waste of money in Italy. Point-to-point tickets are much cheaper and include seat reservations on fast trains that are expensive and a hassle to buy separately.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 05:44 AM

Just buy the point to point tickets-Eurorail is a waste of money.
As someone who has been traveling alot with her 24 and 27 years-most rental car companies will not want you to rent unless 25. If they allow a younger driver,it is usually 23.
I can drive stickshift and automatic and after a horrific experience with a stickshift in France a few years back- will only get an automatic. Automatics are very hard to get overseas as alot of agencies prefer and get manuals. When you find one that has automatic cars,they are very expensive.
Parking overseas is ALWAYS a pain and Italy is fast,crazy,loud and stressful.Please rethink this.(Both of my kids have lived in Italy and would NEVER want to do a rental car.)

Personally, I think that she and her girlfriend are nuts to drive it. Tell her that she can have that glass of wine with lunch and not have to worry about DUI's with a train ticket.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 08:55 AM

Agree that Italian drivers are, as a group, better than Americans. They take driving eriously - and you actually have to know how to drive to get a license.

However, in midwinter, the road conditions may not be good, it gets dark very early, and most of the reasons for driving (seeing pretty countryside, exploring at will) will be restricted due to timing conditions.

I dont think any competent, assured driver will have problems in Italy - as long as they follow the rules of the road (NO driving in the left lane, only passing) and are comfortble at higher speeds.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 09:04 AM

I disagree completely with catherinehaas. Driving in Italy isn't the slightest bit scary, and a railpass is a total waste of money.

Drivers in Italy tend to be far more skilled and predictable than American drivers. Finding your way around in winter in the dark and possibly bad weather conditions would not be my cup of tea, and things out on the countryside might not be well marked, but Italians as a group are accomplished drivers.

That said, I'd recommend she use trains for this trip