Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia for Christmas New Year's?

Oct 18th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Traveling with my Sister for two weeks. Dec. 19-Jan.02. Thinking about traveling Northern Italy, Austria, Slovenia, and Croatia. Only been to Northern Europe a couple of times. What do you think? We are flying into Berlin but want to get out of Germany pretty quickly. Traveling by any means, and willing to stay any where safe. We are from Chicago and open minded, and up for any adventure. The more adventurous the better.
Oct 18th, 2009, 02:05 PM

Why Berlin? You'll already lose one day going from Berlin to Munich. It's cold and wet. Only if you're lucky not too much snow. Unless you want to go skiing...
Traveling through the montains during winter requires some basic driving skills and snow tyres.
Oct 18th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Berlin is not an option. I've also been to Germany a few times and would like to see other places. My tickets are allready booked for there though.
Oct 25th, 2009, 12:47 PM

I was just in Croatia in late May, early June ... drove from Dubrovnik to Rejika. The coast is the draw for that part of Croatia, so not sure how it would be in winter. Would like to visit the towns farther inland as I think they might be less touristy. But it's beautiful country and had no problem with language. I only stayed an overnight in Ljubljana but fell in love with it and will go back. I would recommend it for sure. A friend loves Bled, Slovenia, but I went past it as I was on the train for that portion and it would have been easier to get to by car. As for Austria, anywhere you go is beautiful. If you rent a car, check out viamichelin.com ... it's kind of a European AAA. You can map out a route and see how long to drive, cost in fuel, etc. I found it incredibly helpful and opted for sightseeing routes, which took me out of the big cities and through the small towns and most beautiful countryside! As for Austrian cities, I never liked Innsbruck ... beautiful area, but didn't think it had a lot to see. Love Salzburg ... go there every trip I can. Haven't been to Vienna for many years but it's a great place too! Graz is very interesting and beautiful as well. Then there's all the small towns ... you can't miss! As for driving, if you're from Chicago, you probably know how to drive in the snow! Be careful about needing chains if you do any mountain driving. If you're starting in Berlin, try going through Dresden on your way south. I'm hoping to go there the first part of December. They have a large Christmas market that's supposed to be super. If you rent a car, rent in Germany. They don't have a one way drop off fee ... Austria does. Also if you're driving, you'll have some problems if you drive into Croatia with a car rented elsewhere ... not sure of all the whys but it's something to watch for. When I went I rented a car in Croatia, another in Austria and a third in Germany. Took the train across borders so got some of that in as well. Get an international drivers license ... Austria requires it and it's a toss up in other countries. For $10-15, it's a cheap safety net. If you're a Sound of Music fan, the von Trapp family home is now a B&B just on the outskirts of Salzburg ... it's pricey but it's a real treat and the proprietors are fabulous! Go to www.villa-trapp.com/. Salzburg also has a Christmas Market ... you'll get in on some of those as you travel during that season. Enjoy!
Oct 26th, 2009, 12:15 AM

In two weeks you should be able to see some of Northern Italy, Austria, and Slovenia, but I am not sure if you'll have time for Croatia. Once you get down to the coast, travel times between towns increase as the roads are smaller. It will take you atleast a day or 2 to get from Berlin down to Northern Italy just to start your trip. You may want to consider booking another flight from Berlin to Milan or Venice as not to waste this time since you're not interested in seeing more of Germany on this trip. Once in Northern Italy, it is a short drive to Lublijana, Zagreb, Graz, Vienna, Salzburg, and even Budapest or Bratislava.
Oct 26th, 2009, 01:21 AM

bookmarking
Oct 26th, 2009, 06:57 PM

albertsamuel - in case your itinerary changes again, just wanted to share a great travel blog I found. http://www.spottedbylocals.com/corporate/

Milan in northern Italy is covered by it, as are some of the other cities people are mentioning... like Ljubljana and Vienna.

The local sites, cafes & events they post seem right up your alley.
Oct 27th, 2009, 01:31 AM

Hi Al - Christmas in the Dolomites would be special, I think - even if you're not skiers. I often go the week before Xmas. Lovely atmosphere ...

Steve
Nov 11th, 2009, 08:57 AM

Hi , just adding my own knowledge .. i spent last New year in Ljubljana and traveling a few in Slovenia. New year we spent at the main square for the Countdown. Was really busy and extremely cold. Fire works were let of and there was mulled wine going around. Personally i wouldn't suggest this for a family , but for a young couple as for kids i felt it can be a bit to busy and fireworks were at bit dangerous at times. However the firework display was impressive. My plan this year is in Slovenia again in Ljubljana .. but i plan to try and get some seats on the castle .. which has a great view over the city. I think this will have some great views .. as it does generally over the city.. but i am hoping we will avoid any of the Major crowds this way. As midnight is like special and last year was just a bit to crowded for my liking.Also go for a lot of layers .. i made the mistake last year thinking would go classy black tie .. by the end i just was in pain from the cold in my feet... lots of layers !!!
Around driving anywhere in Slovenia i would just say the same don't attempt it unless you are experienced in driving in serve winter conditions. If you do make sure your fully stocked up with kit . i.e blankets ,food , water, flash torch, mobile phone and charger, anti freeze and any thing else you can think of.

However being from England we don't get this winter snow so much any more so it makes it like i suppose a real traditional Christmas snow is guaranteed pretty much.

If you decide to come to Slovenia check out
www.inyourpocket.si
and perhaps i will see you there