Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy ATM fees (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-atm-fees-1709873/)

mcsles Aug 24th, 2022 03:38 AM

Italy ATM fees

Good morning, I was reading a few posts on ATM fees I believe from Portugal travel and I realized things seem to have changed since our previous trips. I have a Schwab debit card and we usually tried to go to a bank atm inside. I would always ask for local currency. It seems that more scams are out there and I was hoping a few recent travelers may assist us to avoid this problem. We will be in Italy for our vacation.
Thanks,
Mcs

Traveler_Nick Aug 24th, 2022 05:33 AM

Some of the banks now charge to withdraw. Banca Intesa does.

Some don't. The smaller ones are less likely. BNL doesn't. Some of these will offer you DCC (They'll offer you US$ rate instead of letting your bank do the conversion) but they all let you refuse it .

NB I obviously can't promise you things won't change in the next 30 seconds or beyond.

raincitygirl Aug 24th, 2022 07:23 AM

We were in Italy for the month of June. Used BNL with no problems and my bank has an arrangement with them so no fees.
Always refused the DCC, no issues.
A couple of times when paying with a credit card there was the DCC offer, again no problem refusing it.

mcsles Aug 24th, 2022 10:58 AM

Thanks raincity and travelernick, I was hoping this wouldn't be a big issue. I appreciate your information.
mcs

joan Aug 24th, 2022 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick (Post 17393645)
Some of the banks now charge to withdraw. Banca Intesa does.

Some don't. The smaller ones are less likely. BNL doesn't. Some of these will offer you DCC (They'll offer you US$ rate instead of letting your bank do the conversion) but they all let you refuse it .

NB I obviously can't promise you things won't change in the next 30 seconds or beyond.

Does anyone here know what the fee is with Unicredit? We're arriving FCO and I understand that Euronet has high fees, but wondering about Unicredit (I believe they are the other ATM available in my arrival terminal). Thanks!

Paqngo Aug 24th, 2022 11:29 AM

If there is a withdrawal charge/atm usage fee Charles Schwab will cover it. You just want to avoid the DCC.

suze Aug 24th, 2022 05:10 PM

It's not a "scam". You just need to know about Dynamic Currency Conversion (what it means, and not to accept it).

Traveler_Nick Aug 24th, 2022 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by joan (Post 17393720)
Does anyone here know what the fee is with Unicredit? We're arriving FCO and I understand that Euronet has high fees, but wondering about Unicredit (I believe they are the other ATM available in my arrival terminal). Thanks!

I haven't used Unicredit in awhile but memory tells me it wasn't charging then. If I get a chance I'll check this weekend.

mcsles Aug 25th, 2022 01:04 AM

Thanks everyone for your comments. Joan I used the word scam because a few of the articles I read referred to DCC as a scam . $Wise the most recent, regardless of terms I like most would prefer to keep the extra cash in my pocket not the banks.
Best,
Mcsles

joan Aug 25th, 2022 04:29 AM

Thanks Traveler Nick! Just trying to see if it's so exorbitant that it makes bringing euros from the US worthwhile. Last time I was in Italy there were no bank ATM fees, but I've read recently that's not true anymore.

suze Aug 25th, 2022 10:02 AM

used the word scam because a few of the articles I read referred to DCC as a scam

Probably because people don't like it -lol- but it's not truly a "scam"... just something you need to watch out for. It's right there on the screen of the ATM machine. You just need to decline it.

I always get foreign currency ordered online picked up a branch of my own bank at home. It may cost a little more but I like the security. I had one Mexico trip where my debit card would not work anywhere (problem with home bank). I would have been 'up the creek' if I didn't have cash and credit card also with me.

janisj Aug 25th, 2022 10:24 AM

On my recent trip to the UK I ran into 4 or 5 different merchant/cafes (mainstream chains) that no longer accept cash . I had about £25 left over from my last trip and withdrew £100 out of an ATM at LHR (declining the DCC of course ;) ) so I'd have some 'pocket money' . . . and came home with £40 or £50 of that. Used a lot less cash than on any previous trip. Twice I did have to direct the waiter to run a credit card charge in £ instead of $.

Taking / taking out a boatload of currency isn't really a great idea any more.

Melnq8 Aug 25th, 2022 01:28 PM

I consider DCC very much a scam. It's sole purpose is to make money from the uninformed, under the guise of "convenience" .

There was a time, several years ago, when we weren't given a choice - DCC was automatically applied, no other option given. I once fought tooth and nail with an Australian restaurant, refusing to pay in USD. They seemed totally in the dark, telling me it was automatic on their credit card machines. We ended up paying in cash, as the restaurant staff didn't seem to know how to override the system so we could pay in AUS dollars.

These days, there usually seems to be an option, although it can take some effort to find it.

The greedy bastards - the beneficiaries of DCC (financial service providers who market the DCC system as well as the merchants and ATM operators) have just learned to be more sneaky IMO.

mcsles Aug 25th, 2022 03:38 PM

Melynq8 and others I appreciate your input. We did get 500 euro here in Chicago for our trip. We are in Italy for 57 days and know we will use CC for most transactions. The cash was our security for the lunch that was fast and didn't take the card. We even had a few spots 2 years ago in rural France that wouldn't accept our CC and thankfully we had the cash. The deception is wrong and unfortunate. As a traveler I am on this site to be educated and wise to what lies ahead. Thanks all.

Traveler_Nick Aug 26th, 2022 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by joan (Post 17393912)
Thanks Traveler Nick! Just trying to see if it's so exorbitant that it makes bringing euros from the US worthwhile. Last time I was in Italy there were no bank ATM fees, but I've read recently that's not true anymore.

Today Unicredit no fee. Can't promise it won't change Monday but at least right now no withdrawal charges.

bvlenci Aug 26th, 2022 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by mcsles (Post 17394062)
Melynq8 and others I appreciate your input. We did get 500 euro here in Chicago for our trip. We are in Italy for 57 days and know we will use CC for most transactions. The cash was our security for the lunch that was fast and didn't take the card. ...Thanks all.

It's now illegal in Italy to refuse to take payment with a card. Italy is cracking down on tax evasion and the cash economy is one of the main mechanisms.

I would push back if they refuse your card.

joan Aug 26th, 2022 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick (Post 17394127)
Today Unicredit no fee. Can't promise it won't change Monday but at least right now no withdrawal charges.

thanks Nick!

rialtogrl Aug 27th, 2022 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by bvlenci (Post 17394218)
It's now illegal in Italy to refuse to take payment with a card. Italy is cracking down on tax evasion and the cash economy is one of the main mechanisms.

I would push back if they refuse your card.

Even in places like flea markets?

bvlenci Aug 27th, 2022 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by rialtogrl (Post 17394369)
Even in places like flea markets?

I assume even in flea markets. All of the itinerant vendors at our town's weekly market have POS devices.

gentle Aug 27th, 2022 08:07 AM

Italy Post office

Originally Posted by mcsles (Post 17393623)
Good morning, I was reading a few posts on ATM fees I believe from Portugal travel and I realized things seem to have changed since our previous trips. I have a Schwab debit card and we usually tried to go to a bank atm inside. I would always ask for local currency. It seems that more scams are out there and I was hoping a few recent travelers may assist us to avoid this problem. We will be in Italy for our vacation.
Thanks,
Mcs

I use Post Office to take my money out of an auto teller as you have to go inside to get your money, a lot safer , as a lot of banks don’t allow you inside unless you have a swipe card to enter jen🌻