Reload this Page >

Italy at Xmas-where to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 09:28 AM
Lottie

Planning a trip to Italy at Christmas with family, and can't decide where to go. We are food, wine, and art lovers. The family includes grandparents (in 70s), several sets of parents (in 40s), and a number of teenage girls. We know we plan to start by spending a few days in Rome, but can't decide where to go for the rest of the trip. We all love Northern Italy -- Piemonte, Tuscany, and Emilia-Romagna, but have never been there in winter and are concerned about bad weather making the trip unpleasant. We've discussed Sicily as a possibility because of better weather, but the wine lovers are down on this idea. No one has ever been to southern Italy, but the art folks wonder if they will be happy there. SO -- the question I have for all Italian travellers is -- If you were taking your family to Italy at Christmas, and could go anywhere, where would you go? At least for part of the time, we expect to rent a villa or find an agroturismo that has a kitchen well enough appointed to make fabulous dinners on Christmas Eve and Christmas.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 12:57 PM
kam

I think that the art/food lovers would be happy in Sicily and the wine lovers would be OK with the local wines, but all of you risk lots and lots of rain in Sicily in the winter. It would be warmer, but quite possibly wetter! Tuscany and Piedmont, especially in the higher elevations, can get quite cold and even snowy in the interior parts. Know that Christmas is primarily a religious holiday in Italy, no Santa Claus etc. So, my idea of where to go? I think I would head to Umbria, near to but not necessarily in Assisi. It must really shine with the Christmas masses. Or, perhaps to Orvieto. Let us know what you decide.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 02:28 PM
Lesli

I spent Thanksgiving in Florence last year, and it was lovely, but QUITE cold (snow on the hills for a few days.) I wore a scarf and gloves the entire two weeks I was there, so bring plenty of warm layers! <BR> <BR>On the plus side, I was able to enjoy the museums and wander the streets without battling hordes of tourists. The restaurants were and trains were also uncrowded, and the holiday decorations, which were up by the time I left, are beautiful.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 06:16 PM
Lottie

Very interesting comments, Kam, thank you. I've been checking weather information at http://www.worldclimate.com/ and it was somewhat helpful. According to this site the average rainfall in December in Palermo is 2.7", in Rome is 3.8", in Florence is 3.1" and in Naples is 4.7". As far as average max/min temperatures, for December it showed Palermo as 60F/50F, Rome as 58F/40F, Florence as 50F/37F, and Naples as 56F/42F. <BR> <BR>The truth is that we should probably just ignore weather issues and go where we will have the best time, but it is SO HARD to make a decision when really so many places in Italy are wonderful. Haven't been to Orvieto or Assisi, so I'll start researching them. <BR>By the way, we plan on the trip lasting two weeks. And we won't be sorry in the least to miss Santa Claus!

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 05:47 AM
rob & lynne

we have been to central & north Italy in <BR>winter and haven't found it too bad. Torino was quite cold, but not too cold too walk around. I would recommend Venice in winter, as there are far fewer tourists and the climate is o.k. You do need to wear an overcoat though. <BR> <BR>we may be returning this Christmas to visit our daughter in Milan! <BR> <BR>Have a good trip <BR>Rob & lynne

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 03:07 PM
Pat Schulte

We were in Italy in January we stayed in Spoleto,Siena,Florence,Orvieto and Rome. We usually go to Italy in april but this was one of our best trips because there were no crowds (even in florence). We have stayed, several times, at a farm that is about 45 minutes south of siena, just outside a beautiful littls hilltown called Montalcino. It is a working vineyard that produces one of the best Brunello wines in the area (our apartment was over the wine cellar). They have 6 apartments, one is a studio that sleeps 2 and one is a two bedroom that can sleep 6 and the others 2-4 people. The name of the farm is La Crociona and if you would like more info on the farm or the area (ther's art around every corner in the beautiful little towns) please feel free to e-mail me. Pat