Reload this Page >

Italy at Thanksgiving or Christmas??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 03:07 AM
Bridget

We are having trouble trying to decide where to take a family (with 2 teens week long vacation. <BR>We have frequent flier tickets booked to Hawaii for this summer. <BR>We live in Pennsylvania and are not looking forward to the 11-12 hour flight. <BR>I thought of rebooking and going to Italy. We are too late for this summer. <BR>Would it be reasonable to change our trip to the Naples area at Thanksgiving? <BR>I am thinking of going into Rome for 2 days and visiting then tourin Pompeii another day. <BR>Would these areas be pleasant at Thanksgiving? Should we go at Christmas?? <BR>Or is Hawaii worth the few extra hours?? <BR>Please help us decide!!

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 06:26 AM
howard

The weather is warmer in November. We were in Italy over Thanksgving, 1999, and had beautiful sunny days in the 50s over the holiday. However, remember that Thanksgiving is strictly an American holiday. (The closest we got to having turkey that day was our scrambled eggs for breakfast!) Christmas, however, is another thing, and I would think it would be a joyous time there.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 01:26 AM
jane

I was in Rome at Christmas. It is very beautiful. <BR>Hawaii is also great any time but you may as well just go to the Caribbean if you want to relax on an island. <BR>Good luck with your choice <BR>Jane

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 02:59 AM
kate

Go at Thanksgiving. Throughout Europe, many things close down for Christmas - it's a much larger holiday than in the States and can last for over a week. Restaurants, bars, even some hotels and museums close down, as Christmas is very much a family holiday to be spent at home!

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 04:58 AM
kay

We went to Italy the 14th of November. First stop Venice, although the rainy season was still terrific. The weather was not cold anywhere, in fact rather warm, so yes I would say T-giving would be a great time - except Venice is damp. Rome and Florenece however, great.

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 01:12 AM
john

Why not try southern Spain? It is beautiful at Christmas??

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 07:06 PM
Linda

Thanksgiving, yes. In the south the weather is still good and, since Thanksgiving is an American hoiliday, the Italians are doing nothing special. But Christmas Day in Italy, EVERYTHING closes down. We couldn't even find a place to eat. Good thing we had snacks in the hotel room or we would have starved.