Italy at Christimas

Sep 8th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Italy at Christimas

i know its nuts to go at Christmas but after a little investigation, its not that bad, we were going to go to the Almalfi Coast in July but i hate the heat, humidity and crowds. when we went to Tuscany etc in 2009 the humidity was too much for me. since my husband is a teacher we cant travel at the best of times for Italy. this Christmas break we have a longer holiday than usual in Ontario. I saw that in southern Italy and Sicily the temperature is between 10 and 18% depending on location and Rome is around 10-14. this is my ideal temperature. Rain i don't like but i don't think its will rain every day ??? questions, is anyone experienced on travel in Italy for the last week of Dec and the first week of Jan?
also what is the best domestic airline to use in Italy, i hate planes and am very picky. any suggestions from experienced Italy travelers?
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:23 AM

Hi Marie. I, too, am planning a trip to Italy mid December through January. I've been doing a lot of research. I think December will be a great time to be there. Don't know your religious background, but we are both Catholic and Naples is hugh on nativity making. Also Ephifany is a big day in Italy. During this season there are lots of parades and such. I'm from the south USA, so I'm struggling a bit with a coat to take. It will be cold for me, but I'll probably just take the leather I bought the last time we were in Florence. I think anytime in Italy will be wonderful.
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:25 AM

Italy is wonderful around Christmas time but be aware that even in Rome alot of things are closed all day on Christmas Eve,Christmas day and sometimes the day after Christmas as it is very family oriented.
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:30 AM

Probably need to go to a hotel restaurant for a meal?
Sep 13th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the replies, i think we will spend 3 days in Rome for Christmas and than fly to Sicily for another 8 days. anyone experienced with Sicily. hard decision whether to be based in one hotel or villa for the week and drive each day or hotel jump around Sicily. any suggestions?