I'm trying to plan a trip to Italy and Switzerland for me and my husband for our one year anniversary! We would be traveling to Northern Italy and Switzerland within the first two weeks of October. I'm trying to decide between two options -- it would be our first trip to both Italy and Switzerland and possibly our last big vacation for a long time! We have about 8-10 days to work with and I was hoping to see some lake views and mountain views! My husband is somewhat against a travel intensive schedule, however I'm trying to convince him that taking the train, especially in Switzerland, is half the fun!!
What would you recommend? I was thinking of two options:
Option #1: Fly into Geneva, stay on Lake Geneva for 3 days (visit the vineyards, lake, etc.), then take the train from Montreux to Venice - stay in Venice for 3 days. Was wondering if Lake Geneva is a good base for day trips? Also, does anyone have an idea of how long the train from Montreaux to Venice takes? How many transfers on the way? Would we be able to take one of the "scenic trains" and what is the approx. cost??
Option #2: Fly into MIlan, shuttle over to Lake Como for 2-3 days. Then, take the train from Varenna to Bernina Express all the way to St. Moritz. Stay in St. Mortiz for 3 days. I get stuck here since I'm not sure how to get back to NYC from St. Moritz? Should I travel to Zurich? Or take the train all the way back to Milan and fly out there??
If anyone has any insight i would greatly appreciate it! Also any other suggestions for an Italy/Switzerland trip that includes some lakes and some mountains would be greatly appreciated!!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 AOL EMAIL Password Reset Contact Now ☎ 1~844~853:3131 AOL Tec*h CALL.☎
- 2 Barcelona to Malaga
- 3 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 4 Paris November 2017
- 5 Getting around Lisbon
- 6 A Merry marvelousmouse, and (likely more than one) cup of good cheer!
- 7 HOW MUCH SHOULD I TIP THE PILOT
- 8 Milan airport--which one
- 9 Christmas in Granada....food!
- 10 Which Area in London?
- 11 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 12 Paris Apartment
- 13 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 14 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 15 St, Goar or Bacharach
- 16 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 17 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 18 Visit to France
- 19 First time in Spain
- 20 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 21 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 22 Trains - website?
- 23 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 24 GTG Paris December 2017
- 25 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
Italy and Switzerland: Lake Como to St. Moritz OR Lake Geneva to Venice??