Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy and South of France in August: Book in us or on location?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 1997, 02:08 PM
James Vitale

We (2 couples) are going to travel in Italy and French Riviera at the end of August. Although we have some recomenadations from friends and travel agents, I would like advice on whteher to book all hotels, traons, etc in advance in US or to book them locally, as we move from city to city. We will be in ROME, VENICE, FLORENCE, PORTOFINO, and NICE. Would like to have some freedom to change my mind and pick hotels that we like, but I heard thet this part of the world gets very crowded at that time and I'm afraid I may have a hard time finding hotels, cars and book trains. Is it cheaper to book in US? Any suggstions?

Old Jul 10th, 1997, 08:06 AM
Michel Noreau

Bonjour,

I think it is your first time in Italia,if you think that new-york and L-A are crazy cities to drive,wait to see Roma.1- you are 4 people so to avoid dispute I suggest that you reserve your hotel from the states at least for the 2 first nights , if you like it you can ask for extra nights.Don't forget that in Venice,Firenze,Portofino no cars are allowed in whitout an hotel reservation.But via the tourism office in Italia you can reserve hotels from place to place

Bon voyage

Michel.N.

Old Jul 27th, 1997, 03:50 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Did you say August ??? I would definately have
reservations. You may need help. Forget Portofino
and go to Portovenere instead---it is what Portfino
was 50 years ago. Also, don't stay in Nice--stay
in San Remo and hit the Riviera from there.
You sound like a travel agent victim---if you want
a super trip plan give me a holler. That is what I do
well. Several other ideas for you--you need help.

Old Jul 28th, 1997, 09:33 AM
Christina

I suggest that if you don't have reservations in
the South of France in August you will find yourself
in the park or on the beach at night! If you know
where you want to go, why wouldn't you
make reservations ahead of time? If you try to
get a hotel only after arriving in a town you will
waste a lot of your vacation time and probably
end up with the least desirable accommodations.
Why would that be so appealing? Anyway, no, it's
not cheaper to reserve here or there -- the price
should be the same.

Old Aug 1st, 1997, 11:25 AM
James Vitale

Hi, Bob The Navigator....
Thanks for you response...I have booked some hotels so far, taking everyone's advice to do so in advance...Please tell me a little more about San Remo vs. Nice and Portovenere vs. Portofino...

Here is some more info about us: we are 2 young couples, late 20's early 30's. We will be driving a rental car from Florence to Portofino and then to Nice, where we wanted to camp out for 5 nights....everyone suggested it as a central point for travel through Riviera and Monaco. We really just want to relax, find something interesting to do in the evening, restaurants, nightclubs, other fun places...we are not on a very tight budget, but Europe in August could get pretty expensive, so free or inexpensive ideas that fun will be much appreciated..Thanks in advance...James..