Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam - Amsterdamroomsinfo.com? Brouwersgracht/Jordaan area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a studio or one bedroom apartment for my end of June/first of July six night stay in Amsterdam. I came across Amsterdamrooms.info, specifically Studio A25, which is in the Brouwersgracht/Jordaan area. Here is a link:

www.amsterdamrooms.info/apartments/apto25.htm

Specifically I am wondering if Amsterdamrooms.info is a reliable rental agency, whether anyone is familiar with Studio A25 (or has an opinion on it after looking at the above link) and if the Brouwersgracht/Jordaan area is a good, safe area to stay in.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

I also found this one from the same rental agency in the Westerpark/Jordaan area:

http://www.amsterdamrooms.info/apartments/apto03.htm

Any comments on that area as well?
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 05:35 AM

The general areas conveyed by these terms are fine: that's why they use them. I find it annoying, though not necessarily suspicious, that they don't give an exact location: but I don't myself know of any reason why any part of these areas ought to be considered out of bounds. Some bits might be less externally attractive than others, some might be closer to, say, restaurants with noisy customers turning out late at night.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

I agree. I just emailed to find out the exact address of the first apartment I inquired about, so I will post that address when I get it to get anyone's thoughts. I do know that the listing of the first apartment says that it overlooks the canal.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

The address is Brouwersgracht 170. Thoughts?
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 06:00 AM

Another issue might be how close they are to trams, and how much you might have to walk to get where you want to go, since all the area likely to be covered by these terms is between main roads with public transport services. But some might be nearer than others. Basically this is the area around the border of F3/F4 on this map:
http://www.gvb.nl/english/travellers...etworkmap.aspx
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 06:05 AM

If you have the latest Google Earth, or Google Maps with street view, type in the address and you can see the street, though there is not a camera actually ourside the house you can see it if you click on the camera for 174 Brouwersgracht.

It certainly overlooks the canal.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Oh cool - I forgot about Google Earth. This looks great to me!
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 11:37 AM

Brouwersgracht runs from the Singel to Marnixstraat. Don't panic, that is not a long distance, and very interesting to walk. The area is very safe with school children and classes out during the daytime.The Jordon nightlife itself is a more subdued, layback, atmosphere than an area like Leidseplein.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 12:44 PM

According to reviews on Tripadvisor.com, Studio A25 is located at the corner of Brouwersgracht and Prinsengracht. I consider this on the edge of the Jordan. This is still (as is almost all of Amsterdam) a safe area. The Stop and Go shuttle bus travels along Prisengraght from Central Station Waterlooplein and back. It will cost 2 strips on your Strippenkaart(one zone) each direction.