Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy and maybe more for a month: September 2019

Old Nov 16th, 2018, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to Italy for September 2019. I have been to Italy many times now but want to venture off the beaten path a bit more.

We fly into Rome on September 3, 2019 and I have rented a place in Greve in Chianti for 10 days. This is already a change from my original plan, hence the Rome flight. I am thinking it might be wise to take the train from the airport to Florence and rent a car there vs. driving the 4 hours from Rome to Greve. Thoughts?

We have been to the usual Tuscany highlights. Any suggestions are appreciated. In the past we have stayed (twice) in Radda in Chianti and did day trips from there.

I have also booked 3 nights in Parma. I heard it was an interesting place. I thought we could drive there from Greve.

I am then thinking of another trip to Venice for a few nights. Train from Parma to Venice.

What else can we do?

Thank you in advance.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 05:58 AM

" want to venture off the beaten path"
Really?
As I understand, you plan to go to Rome - Greve in Chianti - Florence - Venice, with a stop in Emilia-Romagna.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 06:24 AM

Thereís a world of possibilities but what are you interested in? I would suggest Ravenna for the incredible mosaics but maybe that isnít your thing. Food? Art? Architecture? Outdoor activities?
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 07:03 AM

Since this will be the third time you have stayed in the Radda/Greve area, have you considered other parts of Tuscany and Umbria? Or northern Italy? So many amazing areas. I would suggest you stay 2-3 nights in another place en route to Greve. I like to save money, so would not take a train to Florence and backtrack to Greve by rental car all on the same day. I'd rent the car in Rome, and drive to Greve (with an overnight rest stop if needed, either in Rome or along the way, or 3 nights in lower Tuscany/Umbria, subtracted from Greve)
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

No Rome. No Florence. Greve as a home base. I welcome your advice, please.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

I spent a month in Italy five years ago too. I stayed 3 nights Rome, 5 nights Sorrento and 2 weeks in Orvieto. We saw a lot of Umbria and the Amalfi Coast including Capri.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by natylou View Post
Thereís a world of possibilities but what are you interested in? I would suggest Ravenna for the incredible mosaics but maybe that isnít your thing. Food? Art? Architecture? Outdoor activities?
Ravenna looks great!
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Where north do you suggest?
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 08:35 AM

If you really want to get off the beaten path, the Chianti area in September is the wrong destination. September is one of the busiest months there. I would suggest someplace in Umbria, north-eastern Lazio, Abruzzo, or Le Marche, if you're flying in and out of Rome. I also would probably spend a night or two in Rome at the beginning to recover from the trip.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bvlenci View Post
If you really want to get off the beaten path, the Chianti area in September is the wrong destination. September is one of the busiest months there. I would suggest someplace in Umbria, north-eastern Lazio, Abruzzo, or Le Marche, if you're flying in and out of Rome. I also would probably spend a night or two in Rome at the beginning to recover from the trip.
Now that is a very interesting change and a real possibility. I WAS thinking, based on some of the suggestions here, Greve in Chianti to Parma, Parma to Ravenna, Ravenna to Ferrara, Ferrara to Venice. But perhaps I need a home base for the Emilia-Romagna locations? I would like to see the Dolomites too if possible.

Could you suggest anything to help me?
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 09:35 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
When I read your question my first thought was Bologna and The Dolomites. Stay in Ortisei and experience incredible beauty in the mountains and their valleys above.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 10:50 AM

I wouldn't call any of those cities "off the beaten path", although they won't be as crowded as Chianti. However, from your idea of spending time in rural Tuscany, I got the impression that you wanted to avoid cities.

I was thinking of smaller places, in rural areas, such as the area around Rieti in Lazio, around Sulmona in Abruzzo, Spoleto in Umbria, or around Urbino in Le Marche. If you want a destination in Emilia Romagna, I love the area around San Leo, Pennabilli, and Carpegna (which is actually in Le Marche).

The Dolomiti would be an entirely different trip, and probably it would be better to fly into Milan if you want to visit the Dolomiti. If you'll be in Italy for a month, you could probably divide your trip in two parts, and fly into Rome and home from Milan.

I assume you'll have a car. If not, most of what I've recommended would be inconvenient with public transportation, but so would Greve.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 11:26 AM

Many folks here rightly warn against driving after an all-night flight so yes take train to Florence then from bus station next door bus to Greve - if no rental cars there it would be a short drive from Florence but after all night flight and train ride (most connections have you going into Rome to change to trains to Florence. anyway book train tickets online at Acquista il biglietto con le nostre offerte - Trenitalia or www.italotreno.com - two separate railway companies using same tracks and same stations - there are a few daily direct trains from airport to Florence - try to coordinate for one of those. www.seat61.com has loads on booking own train tickets -general info trains also www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts.

I'd keep car and drive to Venice and maybe stop in Verona - easy enough driving across causeway to Venice and car rental return places. Parma is really neat - bicycle city it seemed - the Certosa di Pavia is a short enough drive and we found very interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certosa_di_Pavia

We also enjoyed Mantua, another place to make a short stop if driving to Venice or a day out from Parma.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 11:53 AM

Even if stopping in Verona, I'd prefer to take the train from Florence. On the other hand, if you want to spend a few days in the area, preferably not in an urban area, a car would be best.

Stopping in Mantova and Verona is not exactly on the direct route from Florence to Venice, neither by train nor by car. Moreover, if you want to see either (or both of) those two cities, you really should plan on doing the trip over several days. Verona is near Lake Garda, my favorite Italian lake (so far) so I could envision a visit of four or five days to that area.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Wow, youíve given me so many wonderful ideas!! I canít wait to look into your suggestions. I really do want to see some new things and I like the idea of smaller places. Thank you so much.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 01:18 PM

Yes are you going straight from Parma to Venice in a day or do you have more days - to hit places like bvlenci mentions, If going straight thru I guess train would be cheaper probably and make you entry to Venice easier with no car. Lake Garda is also my favorite Italian lake - need no car there as boats go everywhere so even by train you could stop for a few days there.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

I have time... Iíve yet to book a way home.
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 07:17 AM

Driving would be nice if you have a few days en route to Venice - hitting spots mentioned above. If going direct to Venice the train is best. Verona and Lake Garda to me our super neat places. Can use one base, say on the lake and day trip to Verona.
Old Nov 18th, 2018, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Ok... first of all, thank you all for your direction.

Here is my plan:
10 days Greve
3 days Parma
4 days Ravenna
4 days Venice
3 days Barcelona
transatlantic home to Florida

All by car but flight to Barcelona.
Any must see sights?
Old Nov 18th, 2018, 10:58 PM

Driving between Ravenna and Venice you could make a stop in Padua to see the Scrovegni Chapel. Or my choice would be to do a day trip from Venice, easy by train.

Cappella degli Scrovegni - Information on Ticket Reservation

Be sure to reserve ahead.