Notices

Italy and Germany

Jan 5th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Original Poster

Italy and Germany

I have two time share weeks that I plan to use in Europe this June...one in Florence,
Italy and the other in Germany near Mannheim. I have been to both countries several
times, but it is the first time for my neighbor who is going with me. I may not get those
locations so I want to know of any suggestions of other cities that we could use as
a hub to take day trips by train to near by sites. I'm planning to get a three week Eurail
Pass as I have done during previous trips.
Also, if you have suggestions of sites near those cities to definitely see. I am using
the RCI exchanges and would like recommendations of places that other members may have visited in Europe. We will travel to other parts of Europe during the third week by train.
Thanks.
Jan 6th, 2013, 07:26 AM
ira

ttt
Jan 6th, 2013, 07:55 AM

>>>I'm planning to get a three week Eurail
Pass as I have done during previous trips. <<<

I imagine that will be a waste of money. Train tickets in Italy can be bought as cheap as 9€ for the fast trains (advance online purchase). A pass doesn't include the mandatory seat supplement which all, but the slow R trains in Italy require. It also doesn't include the supplements to travel between countries. I'm not as familiar with the discount train tickets in Germany, but I know they have them also.

Additionally, the bus is the best option (any many times the only option as many places aren't served by trains) for many day trips from Florence. To visit places like Siena, Chianti, San Gimignano, Volterra, etc. you would use a bus from Florence. Most places nearby that have train service would be on the cheap R trains with tickets only costing about 7€ (such as to Pisa or Lucca).

>>>so I want to know of any suggestions of other cities that we could use as
a hub to take day trips by train to near by sites.<<<

I wouldn't think there would be timeshares in city hubs and we would have no way of knowing where any timeshares would be (most people on this board don't use them). Most I've heard people mention in Italy have been out in the countryside and require cars to get around (no public transport available). I'm surprised you have found one in Florence. Where is it located?
Jan 6th, 2013, 08:21 AM

Other locations; Lucca (just along the railway from Florence) and a nice little city, Bologna as Lucca but with outdoor covered shopping.

For Germany; Wurzburg, Bad Durkheim, Trier, Ulm.

Search this Thread