Italy and France - B and B or Hotel ?

Jan 9th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Italy and France - B and B or Hotel ?

ch helpful information. Any comments and suggestions about the postive aspects of B and B's over hotels? We are looking for clean, safe, air conditioned,small hotels or B and B's. Nothing over 100 Euros. We plan to visit for five weeks, Paris, Venice,Amalfi Coast, Rome, Lake Como, and Lucca. Thank you for helping.
Jan 10th, 2004, 05:52 AM

In Italy, there is little difference. Many of the small hotels are family owned and more like B&Bs. It will be tough on that budget in Venice and the AC--the others should work.
Jan 10th, 2004, 10:44 AM
ira

Hi ginn,

On the AC, I can highly recommend the Hotel Le Sirene in Praiano.

http://www.lesirene.com/index_ing.htm
Jan 10th, 2004, 12:24 PM

I'm still not sure of the differences among b & b, hotel, pensione, etc. A b & b usually has no restaurant/room service but has a breakfast room (and may offer breakfast brought to your room). Some like the convenience of being able to eat in their hotel though. I think on a tight budget this is not an option though. Actually renting an apartment often is the best option if you're staying for 5-7 days. More space usually for less $, kitchen facilities for breakfast/the odd meal in.

In Paris, the Hotel Pas Du Calais on Rue de St Peres might fit the bill (I think they have a/c)
Jan 10th, 2004, 01:06 PM

We very much prefer to stay in a B&B, especially one with only one or two guest rooms and in a rural or suburban setting. In fact we search out these type of accommodations.

We like it because of the opportunity to get to know our host(s) over a period of several days, sharing the roof over our head with their family. We get interesting feedback on their lives and indeed, still keep in touch with many of them, recently exchanging Christmas greetings for instance.

For France we've used the Gites de France and for Italy the Agriturismi.

These experiences remain some of our fondest travel memories.
Jan 10th, 2004, 03:24 PM

I don't think you'll find B&Bs in Paris. There are actually a few but you have to search them out (www.parisbandb.com has some). I don't think these are regulated. I would say the odds of finding AC in a Paris B&B are slim to none. They do have B&Bs in rural areas of France, of course, but not major cities.

Go with hotels in Paris. There are very few hotels with AC at that price range in Paris, though. I think the 2* Hotel Muguet which many people like is right around that if you don't want a queen bed. www.hotelmuguet.com
Jan 11th, 2004, 07:59 AM

I second the use of Gite de France for B&Bs outside large cities. Even a three star equivalent was only 60 euros for the room (just outside Angers). Prices will vary according to the area and the proximity of the nearest large town, but we found the stays cheaper and more pleasant than in the 2 star hotels where we normally stayed. Figure out your itinerary and then google Gite de France. The listings are by area.