Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-842731/)

mommared Jun 1st, 2010 05:56 AM

italy

how to plan a trip to italt for 2 adults 65 years old

Paul1950 Jun 1st, 2010 06:21 AM

Pick the places you want to see and the dates you want to see them.

Post your plans here for comment, and revise your plans based on the comments.

Make sure your passports are up to date.

Make flight reservations and hotel reservations to match where and when you want to travel.

Recheck your flight and hotel reservations.

A week before your trip, call your credit card company and bank and let them know you'll be using your credit card and ATM card in Italy.

Recheck your flight and hotel reservations.

A couple of days before your flight, pack your carry-on suitcases.

Venezia123 Jun 1st, 2010 06:21 AM

I would start with where i would like to go.Do you want to hit the big towns or do you want to get out in the small villages and mingel with the locals?

I usually pull up a map of the country i would like to visit.then click on a few names on the map and look that up and if i see something i really want to see. then i go from there within a three hr radious.Do you want to drive.or do you want to plane on public transportation? If so then i wouls stick with the major spoots Rome * Florence*Venice* don't need a car for any of those .I perfer the smaller towns myself ,I have been to all the major spots and i have covered about 70% of Italy by car ,I realy love the small towns if you drive i would recomende a gps for your trip and a very good map of the region you decide on visiting.Also it depends on the time of year you go.Wouldn't go in the summer.
Have fun planning your tripp.

adrienne Jun 1st, 2010 08:46 AM

You plan a trip to Italy the same way you plan any other trip except you will need a passport.

Pick up a few guide books (the ones with pictures are great) and start reading.

Iowa_Redhead Jun 1st, 2010 09:32 AM

Figure out when you can go and what your budget is. Repost here with that information. Also, give ideas for what you're interested in seeing/doing while you're in Italy.

If you have no idea what you want, look in guide books and see what catches your eye.

Get a plan in order before you book anything. There are a lot of great resoures here for lodging reviews and ideas.

charnees Jun 1st, 2010 11:52 AM

Getting guidebooks is the first step. If you don't want to invest in one at first, look in the library. Even a general guidebook that is a few years old will have plenty of information for your first outline of a plan. If you do decide to go, buy a guidebook and tear out the parts you will use -- no use dragging a fat book around in your luggage if you only use 1/4 of it.

Because you are new to this, I suggest you focus on the basic places like Venice, Florence, and Rome. But if you don't like big cities, then look at some of the smaller ones.

Download My Daily Phrase Italian (free) to your computer or IPod and start learning basic tourist Italian. You probably won't have to speak Italian when you go, but it helps, and Italians love it when you try. (Unlike the French.)

Come back and ask questions when you have a tentative plan. If you have physical limitations, mention those, too.