Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy-5 days-Rome and day trips? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-5-days-rome-and-day-trips-54103/)

Vanessa Oct 1st, 1999 10:03 AM

Italy-5 days-Rome and day trips?

My friend and I are starting to plan for a 5 day trip to Italy next March. Neither of us has been there before, so we feel that Rome is a "must-see" for us. However, we also would like to fit in another area. <BR><BR> Actually, I think it would be great to visit the city for about 2 or 3 days, then head to a quieter town or sea-side area for some relaxation. Any ideas? Oh another thing is that neither of us feels very secure with driving in Europe, so we won't rent a car. Our day trip or second destination would have to be accessible by bus or train. <BR><BR> Would Rome and Florence be too much for a 5 day trip? Or should we simply do day trips? We are in our early twenties and like to visit museums, do some light shopping, walk around the city or towns we visit, look at beautiful scenery. Oh, economy is another thing. We would like some ideas for hotels in the under $80 a night range for two. <BR><BR> <BR><BR>Hope to hear from you! <BR><BR>Vanessa <BR><BR>

Pat Oct 1st, 1999 10:10 AM

Orvieto , an hour from Rome, try Hotel Duomo, is a delightful hill town with one of Italy's most beautiful cathedrals and Civita, a half hour from Orvieto, is an absolute must- see Rick Steves web site for a description. If you go on a week day, Civita is your chance to see Italy as it was hundreds of years ago!

Walter Oct 2nd, 1999 05:12 AM

With only 5 days you would lose almost a day (R/T) just packing up,traveling, and checking into another hotel. I'd stay in Rome and do day trips. Florence could be a day trip it's only ~2hrs away by train (Eurostar/IC) and the sites are within 20min walk from the station. Of course Florence deserves more time but if you reserved your museum tickets online (Accademia, Uffizi?) you would avoid the lines and have time for a late afternoon walk. Also check when off-season rates end, I believe March 15. No need to rent a car the trains and buses will get you anywhere. Check-out www.scotthouse.com/ for a inexpensive hotel in Rome. It's a 2* close to Termini (train station) and I've only heard positive things about it. I'm staying there next month, if you like e-mail me after Nov 15 and I'll give you my opinion about it. HTH Regards, Walter <BR>

Beth Oct 2nd, 1999 09:25 AM

We spent 4 nights in Rome, and it wasn't enough. I think whether 2 or 3 days is enough depends on what is must-see for you. If you are interested in the Ancient sites, you should probably spend more time in Rome and do day trips to Tivoli and Ostia. If its the Renaissance and medieval art, then spend a few days in Rome so you can see the Vatican and the Villa Borghese, among other sites, then head for Florence for a day or 2. Getting around by train is no problem. Orvieto, which is lovely, is about a 1 hour train ride, and from the station you can take the funiculare up into the city. Florence is only 1 1/2 hours on the Eurostar.

Vanessa Oct 2nd, 1999 03:40 PM

Thanks a million for the advice and the websites you e-mailed to me, Walter! I know they will come in handy. <BR>Also, thanks, Pat and Beth, for the day trip ideas. <BR> <BR>The five days is starting to feel shorter and shorter as we start planning this trip. Also, the lure of smaller towns are starting to make us rethink this trip. Where would you go if this was your first time in Italy? Would it just be "wrong" to skip Rome???

Carol Oct 4th, 1999 08:27 AM

Vanessa--don't you dare skip Rome. Your initial impulse was correct. It is a must-see. Follow Walter's advice. Stay in Rome and do day trips. If you don't fall in love with Rome, I'll eat my hat (with spaghetti sauce of course).