Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy: 40 days & 40 nights, but no Rome?!?!

Feb 20th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Ok ... I know this sounds ABSURD but hear me out - I've already extended my May sojourn well into June and I just can't do it all. Which is hard for a type-A like me to admit.

The bottom-line is we'll get back to Italy and Rome is easy to get to. I KNOW from reading all the Fodor's postings that it's the FAVORITE Italian city for many of you. Hence, I don't want to SLIGHT it and spend less than (5) days there. So, I'm not going. So there.

And, yes. I AM cracking myself up - shaking my head with disbelief!

Consider this post sort of a pre-trip confession as I feel like I'm breaking a sacrosanct rule of Italy travel.

Note: I COULD do 2-3 nights in Rome and only 4-5 in Amalfi Coast, but then I wouldn't get the good weekly deal on the AC. Should I do that???

Feb 20th, 2006, 05:04 PM

I'm confused. How long will you be in Italy?
Feb 20th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

40 days [as of this posting!]
Feb 20th, 2006, 05:08 PM

with 40 days I'd definitely try to spend time in the three biggies - Venice, Florence, Rome. My humble guess is you will find more to keep yourself occupied in Rome than the Amalfi Coast - but then again if you just want to relax, then I can see spending more time at the AC.
Feb 20th, 2006, 05:10 PM

1. Is the "AC" deal on Amalfi Coast or on Air Conditioning?

2. Where are you going for your 40 days? You only tell us where you are not going.

I'm not sure what question you want to have answered -- if, indeed, question there be.
Feb 20th, 2006, 05:11 PM

So, 32 days are planned and now you need to use 8 more? What are you doing before the AC?
Feb 20th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Pausanias

"The bottom-line is we'll get back to Italy"

That being the case, why try and do it all this time? Why not post your proposed itinerary? And tell us what you're trying to accomplish.

Feb 20th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

ok ok ok!

I knew ya'll wouldn't let me get away with partial information. So, here's the whole shebang. We're doing a road trip from Munich to Venice and plan to pick up a car again after Florence. Will be with 12-year old 1st part of trip, through Florence, then two couples in Southern Tuscany, then just me & hubby for the rest.

Munich 2
Bavaria 1
Lake Orta - 1
Milan - 2
Lake Garda - 1
Venice 4
Florence 3
Southern Tuscany 7
Amalfi Coast 7 [OR: Rome 2-3]
Puglia 3
Somewhere in between - 1
Sicily - 7

And, yes: There is a question! Should I really skip Rome or should I split the Amalfi Coast [AC] time?
Feb 20th, 2006, 05:30 PM

why not take a day or two off of Tuscany and a day or two off of AC?
Feb 20th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Pausanias - oh my! I've already cut out Cinque Terre, Le Marche and um maybe Rome.

I think what we're trying to accomplish is a road-trip that explores both some of the most famous aspects of Italy as well as simply enjoy all that Italy has to offer. A balance of big cities and quiet corners.
Feb 20th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Fly Girl - could easily take a couple days off amalfi coast; the southern tuscany, no. We're doing a villa with family that week....
Feb 20th, 2006, 06:30 PM

I just want to know what you are going to actually SEE in 'Bavaria', Lake Ona, and Lake Garda in ONE day...does that mean that they are only overnight stops? Too bad.
Feb 20th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Pausanias

Milan has little to offer compared to Rome. Unless you have some special reason for visiting, taking those two days and a couple from the Amalfi Coast would give you a good stay in Rome. Alternately you might want to save Puglia for a future visit.

Feb 20th, 2006, 09:02 PM

Skipping Rome and Cinque Terre, they may not let you back into Italy if you skip both A visit to Rome for only a couple of days will only leave you wishing that you had spent longer there. I also agree with flygirl, you will have much more to do in Rome than the Amalfi Coast (though very beautiful). However, whatever you decide can't be bad because you are spending the time in Italy. Have a great trip.
Feb 20th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

JT, I agree. It's a shame to do fly-bys on such beautful country. That's the roadtrip part. We will be able to see a couple of mad King Ludwig's castles though! And, hopefully, enjoy a few walks along the lakes and gardens.

And Pausanias - do not get me started on Milan! Marriages are all about compromise after all [he gets Milan, I get the trulli in Apulia]. Honestly, it was bottom of my wish list.

Thanks all for your input... now I'm thinking of going back to plan A [Rome and shorter stay in Amalfi]. Maybe they'll let me back in the country if I do that.
Feb 20th, 2006, 09:35 PM

First of all....don't feel bad about missing rome. i know, it's blasphemy on this board, but if you know you'll get back, and you're only going to get a taste of rome on this trip, then why try to squeeze it in? My uncle has been to italy 3 or 4 times, he's going in april 2006, and it will be his first visit to Rome. OH NO!!!! how can it be? lol

i spent 5 weeks in rome as a study abroad student. amazing city. no amount of time is enough.

so your hubby wants milan? that's so backwards. remind him that it's the fashion capital of the world, and you'll just make him shop the entire time...maybe he'll reconsider.

how the heck to you have the time to spend 40 days in europe. i'm so jealous it makes me sick.
Feb 21st, 2006, 02:16 AM

I would make room in that itinerary for Rome. Though I like Milan (mainly for the shopping I admit) it doesn't compare to Rome. 3 days and 2 nights should be not too hard to fit in, and you can see the highlights in that time.
It's up to you of course, but if you ask my opinion, I wouldn't skip Rome on such a long trip.
Feb 21st, 2006, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

In less than 40 hours, and w/the help of less than 40 Fodorites, I've re-worked my itinerary. YES! Rome is in! Milan, unfortunately, is also still in [the hubby is the shopper].

For all ya'll following this with bated breath, here's the revamp:

Munich 1
Bavaria 2
Lake Orta - 1
Milan - 2
Lake Garda - 1
Venice 4
Florence 3
Southern Tuscany 7
Somewhere in between - 1
Puglia 3
Somewhere in between - 1
Sicily - 6
Amalfi Coast 5
Rome - 3

Other than shopping, my husband likes driving. So he's looking forward to that as much as I am to the castles, ruins, villages, art, food/wine, you know the drill.

And Brady, don't be sick. It's a mini-sabbatical. After 20 yrs with the same company they're tired of me and have sent me packing [literally only, not figuratively]. I'm going with glee!

Thanks all - now on to the next topic.
Feb 21st, 2006, 04:01 PM

Congratulations! Sounds like a wonderful, albeit fast-paced trip.

I would love to take a 40 day trip but I've only been working a little over 3 years, sigh. Will keep my fingers crossed I don't have 17 more to go before getting a nice long vacation! ;-)
Feb 21st, 2006, 05:46 PM

I wish I could take a 40 day trip, but hubby can't take that much time off at once. Anyway, I recommend you skip all of your 1-night stops. Convert them into 2-night stops.

So far, in all of my travels, Rome is my #1 favorite place. I wish I could spend 40 nights in Rome on my next trip. However, hubby likes to explore the world so who knows where we'll end up. We're off to Ireland this summer.

Buon viaggio!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO