Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy 14 days Rome Siena Florence CT, help with itinerary

Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings, We have never visited Italy and do not want to be drained at the end of our vacation. Our questions is should we add a day to Rome (for 5.5 days) and take a day off of CT at the end?
Mon 9/9 arrive Rome and stay until Sat 9/14 or Sun 9/15
Sun 9/15 to Siena
Tu 9/17 to Florence (possibly renting a car to drive into the country for a day)
Fri 9/20 to CT
Sun 9/21 travel as late as possible to Milan just to sleep before an early morning flight home on Monday at 630am.
We were thinking if we left Rome on Sat 9/14, we would spend another day at CT.
We thank all for any help they can give us,
Kimberly
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 11:18 AM

You do want 2 nights in the Cinque Terre, as long as the weather is good for your visit.

Florence makes a poor base for daytripping by car. Central Florence, where I assume you're staying, has too many ZTLs, locals-only driving areas, into which all too many tourists stumble and get tickets in the mail months later. (In addition to a charge on your credit card from the car rental comapny -- for outing you to the authorities.)

Do your Tuscan countryside drive from Siena, and then take the bus into Florence.

There are a couple of recommended hotels at Milan Malpensa, better for an early morning flight than staying in Milan itself, which is at quite a distance.
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 11:19 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I think you have enough time in Rome to move a day to CT, but it depends on what you want to do in Rome. You will be jetlagged on arrival day (if coming from an overnight flight) so I wouldn't plan much that day (a few outside things like Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona).

>>>possibly renting a car to drive into the country for a day
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! We have a friend who is allowing us to stay in their 2 bedroom apt in Florence. They will help us rent a car and Not drive in the city. I have read about the no driving zones. As for countryside, we just thought we would look the next few days to determine where/if we want to drive from Florence. We are open to suggestions. I did not realize we needed an IDP and will look into where to obtain one and the cost before we decide to rent.
As there is so much so see in Rome, that is why I thought we would add a day there and only spend 1/2 day 9/20, full day 9/21 and most of day in CT on 9/22. We are going to get a hotel 5 minutes from the airport in Milan area to be close for our homecoming flight. I was not sure about spending the extra day in CT. We were looking at just relaxing in CT for the last 2 days before we fly home. In Rome, we want to see as much as we can so we know we will be going everywhere.
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 12:16 PM

Any AAA office will do an International DL for you. Not expensive at all....I want to say $20?
You will fall in love with Italy. Wonderful time of year. You will probably be back again.
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 12:17 PM

Oh..and you DO want 2 nights in CT. Absolutely beautiful!
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

So would one spend 4.5 days in Rome and 3.5 in CT? Or 5.5 days in Rome and 2.5 days in CT? From what I see and read, CT is beautiful, so I thought we might want an extra day there to visit all 5 villages/cities. The only thing set in stone is Rome through the morning of 9/14 and sleeping in Milan late on 9/22 for a 9/23 early morning flight. I am looking to book rooms and check train/bus schedules for the rest of the trip. Thanks to everyone for help!
Kimberly
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 05:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
To each his/her own, but for me there is never enough time in Rome. Or Florence.

I assume you're taking the train from the CT. It's a 5-hour ride to Malpensa. Less if you just go to central Milan or you depart a little earlier as opposed to taking the last option of the day. Make sure you choose a hotel that has reception staffed late enough for your arrival.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 06:00 AM

You can visit all 5 villages of the Cinque Terre in one day/2 nights. That's all there is to do there. And if it rains, there's nothing to do at all.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 06:20 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I would drop CT and add the time to Siena for day trips in Tuscany.

From Rome to Siena, the bus is better because it doesn't require any changes and is as fast as the train (abut 20€). You catch this bus at Rome's Tiburtina station (a train/bus/metro hub). The bus also drops you at the historic center of Siena (the train station doesn't) and there are about 10 departures daily.

http://www.sena.it/Home/78-1-en.html

From Siena to Florence, bus is also better/faster. On this route it's the Sita bus (about 8€).
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 05:48 AM

My introduction to the Tuscan countryside was a bus from the Chiusi train station to the Siena train station, by way of Asciano. The scenery was marvelous. I determined to come back soon and spend more time in southern Tuscany. And I did.
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 07:56 AM

If the weather is great, CT will be filled with Italians enjoying the weekend and it is a beautiful place to be. If you don't have accommodations already, they may be booked solid. If you have them, stick to your original plan. Don't worry, you can always wander around Tuscany and love it. Half a day here or there won't make or break your trip.