Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy-1033052/)

Theresa3 Dec 28th, 2014 05:49 PM

Italy

Looking to go to Italy in the summer of 2015. We will stay with family outside of Venice but then want to travel to Florence and Rome. Looking for advice on transportation from Venice to Rome. Should we drive or go by train? Also accomodation for us while in Florence and Rome. We are a family of 5 and our kids would be considered adults. Should we look at a bus tour for us or do it on our own. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Sassafrass Dec 28th, 2014 05:57 PM

Just take the train- takes you right from city center to city center. No worry about parking or driving in a restricted zone.
Forget a bus tour. Do things on your own, doing exactly what you want to do when you want to do it.

nytraveler Dec 28th, 2014 06:31 PM

A bus tour is a really bad idea of young people. For 5 you might want to consider an apartment - since very few hotels have rooms suitable for 5 adults - or you could look at a double and a triple - so you at least get 2 baths.

For specific advice you would need to give us a nightly budget and indicate what currency this in in.

For sightseeing get a variety of guidebooks so you can determine what you want to do/see. Also understand that 5 people -esp if 3 are young adults - may have different interests and may want different activities some days - as well as a chance for student nightlife in cafes and clubs.

tuscanlifeedit Dec 28th, 2014 06:46 PM

No bus tour and no car necessary. Apartments are good advice.

Erin222 Jan 4th, 2015 08:43 PM

Hi Theresa
I am planning the same trip as yourself for September with my husband only....we are leaving the kids at home this trip as they are all older teens and my hubby and I are celebrating our 50th bdays!
I originally signed on to Fodors forum to ask people here about what tour group they suggested for us to use as my husband is not a great traveller! After many well brought up points, I decided to just bite the bullet and plan the trip on my own and forget the whole tour thing this time...I do think they can still be a good thing(loved the RS tours)... dont get me wrong...but being in a family of 6 myself (4 teens) and all the trips we did take with them, I think a tour is just to regimented for them.
I could not imagine planning that for my family.
Try the independant thing and take the train from city to city as we are and I would also try and get an apartment as you will need the space!!
Good luck!

Theresa3 Jan 11th, 2015 07:36 AM

Thanks everyone for the feedback and information. I believe we are going to look into doing it on our own as suggested and look into apartments to rent. Any suggestions on websites that are pretty reliable to look for apts. I am only familiar with Homeaway. Does anyone have specific information on best place to stay while in Rome. Thinking of making Venice with family and then Rome as home base. Thanks agian