COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italian villa rental- is the train a significant issue with this property

Old Sep 24th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Original Poster

Here is a property we are considering.

http://www.parkervillas.com/villas/v...cc=8&year=2010

Can anyone advise me if the train would be a serious disturbance, particularly at night?

Thank you.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 04:42 AM

Why would you expect anyone here to know?

You know whether any of your party makes a fuss about a bit of noise. All of you must have lived a lot nearer than 15 yards to a road with traffic - and cars (and motorbikes) run all night, while it's highly unlikely a local commuter train runs when you're asleep anyway. But you're as capable of checking that on the Trenitalia website as anyone else (we're talking two or three carriages here. Not the mile long, coal-laden things that dominate American or Australian railway tracks)

Most of us, surely, have lived near a railway line at some stage of our lives. Most find them soothing, while some drama queens make a big thing about how unbearable the noise is.

Trains don't make a disturbance. Fusspots pretend they do.

And only you know who's in your party, and who's incapable of shutting up and wearing a pair of earplugs.

Now if you're lumbered with anyone like that, you ought to think twice about Italy altogether because trains are going to be the least of your problems. It's local motorbikes and scooters that cause the real noise, they go on all night, it's generally too hot to close the windows and small towns/villages are if anything worse than central Rome.

If anyone's got a problem with noise, make sure there are several hundred yards between you and the nearest road. Or limit yourselves to hotels with full air conditioning.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 05:36 AM

You can ask the agency to give you the names/contact information of clients who've previously rented that property and get the lowdown from them.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion, bon voyage. I had hoped someone who used this site might have previously rented the property or might recognize the location.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 07:05 AM

good god, speaking of fusspots.....

cmcfong, I actually do have a person who might be able to help. An old client of my husbands, used Parker for all their trips to Italy .. so I will send her an email and then send you one...
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Scarlett. I would appreciate that.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 07:34 AM

Flanneruk is an idiot.

I certainly know the location. I had an apartment in Recco (in Mulinetti) which I abandoned because of the hideous train and road noise.

What you need to ask the owners is where the villa is in relation to the via Aurelia. If it is ABOVE the via Aurelia between Recco and Sori, you are going to get a LOT of train and motorcycle noise. Double glazed windows can help you sleep at night through the heavy-duty freight trains, but your enjoyment of the outdoors will be seriously compromised by highway noise, and its incessant during the day.

If the villa is BELOW the via Aurelia, either on the Corso Garibaldi or the road into Camogli, on the way to Gulliver's supermarket, you could be fine -- HOWEVER: At certain points, the train is insdie a tunnel, and you hear nothing. If the train tracks are outside the tunnel, that's a lot of noise from freight trains at night, and random noise during the day. Ask them to specify whether the train is inside or outside the tunnel at your location. If you are sitting beneath the via Aurelia, the noise from the highway is traveling up, not down, and it has much less impact. But do get precise answers about the train.

If it's on the Corso Garibaldi, it's a sweet spot, if you can sleep through the 1:10 am frieght train.

Also be aware that, since Recco was bombed nearly flat during WWII by the allies, it is one of the least picturesque towns on in the area. It has good shopping and some legendary eateries, but it's also the autostrade exit and crazy with cars. Your villa will be away from all that, I'm pretty sure, but if you are imagining night time strolls in an atmospheric borgo, head elsewhere -- to Camogli, Sori, Chiavari, Bogliasco, or further down the line toward le Cinque Terre.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 07:40 AM

Wait! I just remembered! In Recco, the via Aurelia is called the via Cavour. So find it if the villa is above or below the via Cavour.

This map may help you:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cl...16036+Recco+GE,

I'm guessing that villa is on the Corso Garibaldi, but to the left, where the train tracks are closest to the sea and the Corso. You can use that google map to see exactly how close if the owners will tell you the exact address -- or it may be somewhere else in Recco.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 08:00 AM

It was stated the tracks were 40 feet from the Villa in the OP's link.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 08:06 AM

Saw that.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Zeppole, I appreciate your response. Thank you for taking the time to give me the right questions to ask. Your tips on villa choice were also very helpful.