Italian Travel Itinerary

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italian Travel Itinerary

Hello all,

I'm in the process of finalizing plans for our first trip to Italy (or anywhere outside of North America for that matter) and was hoping for some feedback on the itinerary that I've so meticulously crafted (keeping in mind that my wife-to-be and I are in our mid 20's and pretty active). Trip will occur in late September/early October of next year. Here goes:

Day 1: Leaving from Newark, flying into Florence via Frankfurt.

Day 2: Upon arrival in Florence, hit some of the typical walking sites. Nothing heavy. This will be the base for the first portion of the trip. Staying at Hotel Caravaggio.

Day 3: A few musuems and a late visit to Fiesole.

Day 4: Bus trip down to Greve-in-Chianti for a wine tour at the Verrazzano winery.

Day 5: Train to Bologna for a day trip. I'm dreaming of tortellini bolognese already...

Day 6: Either bus down to Siena for the day or take a guided tour that will also include a stop in San Gimignano.

Day 7: Depart Florence for Monterroso (via Pisa and an obligatory picture of the tower). Hotel Pasquale.

Day 8: Hike between the five towns of Cinque Terre.

Day 9: Train to Rome. See some of the main walking sites. Stay at the Marriott near Villa Borghese.

Day 10: Ancient Rome

Day 11: Vatican

Day 12: Travel to Positano (via Naples and Sorrento). Hotel Villa Gabrisa.

Day 13: Bus the Amalfi Coast

Day 14: Day trip to Pompeii

Day 15: Day trip to Capri

Day 16: Travel back to Rome. Catch my breath. Budget accomodations.

Day 17: Depart for NYC from Rome.

I'm trying to leave enough time during the day to get lost and explore, so the plans within most of these days are pretty open.

I know I've read that we'll be able to store our luggage at the train station in Pisa for a short excursion there. Has anyone had any problems with this?

Also, I hate backtracking. Does anyone know of a similar sort of luggage storing facility in Pompeii so that we could hit that on the way from Rome to Positano, instead of spending a day on it later? Doing so would give me another day in Tuscany...

Also, I know Sorrento would be a more convenient base on the Amalfi Coast -- just prefer Positano based on recommendations from friends who have been to both.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated (along with restaurant recommendations -- can never get enough of those!).

Thanks in advance everyone!
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 11:08 AM
ira

Hi JV,

More moving around than I would do, but looks good.

>...restaurant recommendations ....<

What's your budget?

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Food budget is relatively modest. Dinner for two between $50 and $100 would be an acceptable price range I'd say.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 12:54 PM

Nice trip !
I would end in Rome for 4 nites. Just train to Naples from the CT and get a private driver to Positano. No reason to unpack in Rome twice. Also, with so little time at the CT I would skip Pisa.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 04:30 PM

Hi J,

I do like Bob's suggestion to train straight down to Naples from Cinque Terre.

We checked our luggage at the Pisa station - although that was 5 years ago.

I had to leave my luggage at a train station bar in Pompeii (like you, to avoid backtracking). It really wasn't secure even though they charged for the service & when I returned, it had been gone through. Nothing taken, fortunately. I had my valuables on me.

Be sure to see the Borghese Gallery. It's a must in my book!

I think the most I paid for dinner on my trip in Sept was 55E, that was with a 1/2 bottle of Brunello. I had fabulous meals almost everywhere! Just don't eat anywhere near the major tourist spots - Coliseum, Vatican, Pompeii.

Buon viaggio!