Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italian Translation Assistance! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italian-translation-assistance-229847/)

TheTraveler Jun 10th, 2002 01:08 PM

Italian Translation Assistance!

Hi! I am trying to interpret an email I received from an Italian speaking relative. I have been using freetranslation.com, but it is giving me incomplete results. We are traveling to Europe next week and will be visiting these relatives. If someone could translate for me, please let me know soon! I would appreciate a clearer understanding. Thanks! TheTraveler

carol Jun 10th, 2002 01:25 PM

If you're willing to post the text of the e-mail as part of your message on a public forum, try this very nice forum, where we can try to help. Don't expect someone to do it privately via e-mail (maybe someone will, but not that likely). Post it under the "translation" category:<BR><BR>http://forums.about.com/ab-italian/start/?lgnF=y

Rex Jun 10th, 2002 01:26 PM

If (you think) it is too personal to post here, then you can hire a translator. You could try sending it to me, if you wish, but there are also others who are native Italian speakers here on this forum who might be a better choice than me.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

TheTraveler Jun 10th, 2002 03:23 PM

Hi Rex and Others, I should've known the Fodorites would come to my rescue in translating this email. I really don't think it is so personal, and I understand some of it...but I will try posting it here and look for a more accurate translation. Thanks again!<BR><BR>abbiano gia saputo da Tina del vostro arrivo per il 29 e 30 Giugno 2002. Ci fara molto piacere che veniate a trovarci a Fivizzano dove potrete fermarvi quanto vorrete, ma ci ha gia detto Tina che potrete vermarvi solamente il 29 e 30 Giugno e poco tempo ma a noi fa molto piacere potervi avervi con noi anche per solo due giorni. Pertanto sarete nostri ospiti o meglio sarete ospiti di Simione ed Chiara in Fivizzano dove dormirete. Tina ci ha detto che verra anche lei cosi potremo passare due bellissimi diorni tutti insieme come se ci fossero comunque dei problemi verromo noi a prendervi a Portovenere. So gia che sara bellissimo stare insieme cosi potrai far vedere anche a tuo marito il paese d'orginine dela tua famiglia.<BR><BR>That's it! Grazie!The Traveler

Carol Jun 10th, 2002 03:55 PM

Rough translation:<BR><BR><BR>We've already heard from Tina about your arrival for June 29-30. We'll be very happy that you're coming to find us at Fivizzano where you can stay as long as you like, but Tina already told us that you can only stay June 29030 for 2 days. So you'll be our guets, or rahter the guests of Simione and Chiara in Fivizzano where you'll sleep. Tina told us that she'll come too so that we can all spend tow beautiful days together. But if there are problems we can pick you up at Portovenere. I already know it will be so lovely to be together so that you'll also be able to let your husband see the town of your family's origins.<BR><BR><BR>[This is exciting!!! I still recommend the AboutCom Italian Language forum, rather than Fodors, if you have any further language questions. It's also just an all-round interesting forum, even if you don't have some pressing translation problem.]

Rex Jun 10th, 2002 04:06 PM

Good job, Carol (a few typos notwithstanding!)<BR>

carol Jun 13th, 2002 12:00 PM

Hmm, the traveler never returned.

It. Jun 13th, 2002 12:08 PM

Oh, I'd get a second opinion if I were you. And don't just show up before you do. The sentence about your laundry got dropped.

xxx Jun 13th, 2002 01:36 PM

This is a FAMILY forum--mustn't dicuss the dirty laundry. tsk tsk

TheTraveler Jun 14th, 2002 09:55 AM

Hi Carol, Sorry, I haven't had a chance to get back here and thank you! Actually, I just posted another. I received another email today, and apparently, my Italian relative is having a similar problem interpreting the Italian memos I am sending him! I have been using the freetranslation site. This is so frustrating. I will try the above address you left. It is just that it is getting crazy--packing, planning and etc, and we are trying to get our plan laid out for visiting them--with a language barrier! Hopefully, Tina (mentioned in the email) will be present as she speaks some English. Otherwise, communicating could be a bit of a problem! Thank you in advance. I hope you will find my new post and assist me with it. Thanks a million. I envy your ability to speak another language.The Traveler.

TheTraveler Jun 14th, 2002 09:58 AM

Oh by the way....What does It mean by the laundry comment? Am I missing something? The Traveler.

xxx Jun 14th, 2002 11:43 AM

Laundry comment was a joke