Italian train options/connections from Arezzo to Naples

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are heading from Cortona to Naples in May and we originally were going to drive but instead we are thinking about the train as being more relaxing since we will have been driving around Tuscany and Umbria for a week.

When I pull up train tickets from Arezzo to Naples it seems to take about 4 hours on the regional train (only option Italia Rail provides). When I played around with the search, it seems to be the same if we back track on a local train to Florence and then the high speed from Florence to Naples. My thought is the high speed trains tend to be more comfortable and the regional trains. Has anyone done a similar trip and any thoughts?

Thanks
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 09:35 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>When I pull up train tickets from Arezzo to Naples <<<

Why are you looking at trains from Arezzo if you will be departing Cortona?

Trenitalia is the Italian rail company.

You can take an R train from Camucia-Cortona to Rome and change to the fast train to Naples (from Rome only 70 minutes). I don't see that Arezzo/Florence or Camucia/Florence makes any more sense as you would be on a regional train to Florence and you would still have a 3 hour trip from Florence to Naples (that train would stop in Rome).
http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...0080a3e90aRCRD

FYI - There are some IC trains from Arezzo to Rome where you could catch an AV train on to Naples. I don't care for the IC trains, but most people seem to consider them a step up from R trains. Neither really have any amenities.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 09:38 AM

Is your actual destination Naples or somewhere on the Amalfi coast?
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 09:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Perhaps returning a car at Arezzo?
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 09:45 AM

. I don't see that Arezzo/Florence or Camucia/Florence makes any more sense as you would be on a regional train to Florence and you would still have a 3 hour trip from Florence to Naples>

checking several rail times for Arezzo to Naples on www.bahn.de - German Railways web site that usually is correct and easy to use it says about 4 hrs and a few minutes total with most involving a regional train back to Florence then a high-speed train to Naples - same time as taking a direct regional train to Rome then changing. so that's why the regional train to Florence can at many times of the day be the quickest way perhaps.

Check out these superb IMO sites for lots on Italian trains - www.seat61.com - great dope on online discounted tickets which however are train-specific and can be hard to change in practice and would I think cost more if changed and ww.ricksteves.com and www.trenitalia.com.

For regional and IC trains just wait until Italy to buy your ticket - about same price but for ES or AV or high-speed trains you can save some dough by booking weeks ahead of time at www.trenitalia.com though that can still be a very very frustrating site to actually get to work - attested to by many many posts on Fodors expressing problems with getting it to work.

In any case you should always be able to book tickets (reservations mandatory on anything faster than an IC train) once in Italy - rarely if ever a problem IME. And as usual first-class is significantly more comfy than 2nd class and easier IME to store luggage - especially if you have too much luggage as many are wont to have.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 05:21 PM

ttt
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. Issue was I was looking at a vendor site not Trenitalia so it wasn't providing all options. Found a good connection from Arezzo (correct Jean we are returning a car) through Florence to Naples. We chose that as it's the same amount of time as going from Arezzo straight to Rome on regionals and I would rather be on the high speed/nicer train for the longer portion of the trip (Florence to Naples rather than just Rome to Naples).

We ultimately are heading to Positano but friends in Naples are meeting us at the train and we're taking a car service to Positano.
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 11:21 AM

I would probably return the car at Chiusi or Orvieto (if the company you are renting from is there) and then hop the train.
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 01:38 PM

We chose that as it's the same amount of time as going from Arezzo straight to Rome on regionals and I would rather be on the high speed/nicer train for the longer portion of the trip (Florence to Naples rather than just Rome to Naples).>

Yes good reasoning - regional trains IME are rather spartan - some have metal seats and can be crowded at times as they are often used as commuter trains as they stop so so much - but comfort level is much lower than high-speed or even IC trains. It may cost more that way but probably not that much if you get the discounted tickets, some as low as 9 euros Florence to Naples though I suspect those seats are extremely limited in number.