Notices

Italian Swiss Help

Nov 18th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Italian Swiss Help

I need some help and advice.

I'm a total noob when it comes to train travel in Europe. I'll be bringing my wife on our honeymoon in March/April 2012.

We are planning to spend 14 nights in Italy and Switzerland (flying into Rome, flying out Zurich). Below is a rough itinerary that I put together.

Rome 3 Nights > Train > Venice 3 Nights > Train > Milan > 2 Nights > Train > Tirano > Bernina Express > Chur > Glacier Express > Andermatt 1 Night > Train > Lucerne 3 Nights > Train > Zurich.

When I say train, I'm referring to the fastest train between the two locations. If I miss out a scenic train route that I can take based on the locations, please let me know.

Do you guys think this itinerary is feasible? Also, can you guys recommend a railpass for the entire trip like a Eurorail Pass? Or should I be looking at a point-to-point pass for Italy then a railpass like a Swiss Saver Pass? Or just a point-to-point pass for the entire trip? This part about figuring the right pass is really confusing for me :/

Also, please let me know if I missed out any great scenic train routes. Appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.
Nov 18th, 2011, 11:47 AM

You can compare the various Swiss passes on this link.
http://www.swisstravelsystem.ch/en/

As for Italy, you can probably get good prices booking online with Trenitalia or buying all your Italian train tickets upon arrival in Italy. Most discount tickets require advance purchase. Sometimes the Venice/Milan portion can be bought for as little as 9€ on the fast train. It doubtful Trenitalia has all their new schedules loaded yet (take effect in Dec. for mid-Dec - mid-June). Prices and types of discounts may change somewhat with the new schedules.

You can use this Trenitalia link which searched the fast trains only.
http://www.fsitaliane.it/cms/v/index...003f16f90aRCRD

Search this Thread