Search

2 weeks Czech Republic

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 weeks Czech Republic

Hi all,

I'm deciding on my 2012, two week holiday, and 1 of the countries that we would like to visit in Czech Republic. We are planning to go end of September. Now we aren't going to drive, so we will be relying on public transport/trains. We like landscapes, museums, and nice attractions. Those 2 weeks I want to divide them into 2 or 3 base locations, 1 of them should be Prague. I was thinking of flying to Vienna and take a train to Brno and then start from there...what do you suggest? Important that I can do good day trips from the base location. Thanks.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 07:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A little information. www.inyourpocket.com/czech-republic and www.inyourpocket.com/austria
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Just to inform you..I will not be visit Austria..Vienna just for landing and a train to brno.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 07:46 PM

Though you could do Vienna to Brno, I'd recommend Prague instead and use that for most small day trips (e.g. Karlovy Vary, Kutna Hora, Karlestjn).

I'd also HIGHLY recommend a visit to South Bohemia, and in particular Cesky Krumlov--which is a relatively hidden jewel. Don't miss it. While there, Hluboka castle is only about 40 minutes away by cab or bus.

Brno is another place that you could make a base, but it's more expensive than other towns in Moravia to use as a base.

If you only have 1 week for Czech Republic on this trip, I'd focus on Bohemia (no criticism of Brno and Moravia, it's wonderful, and my wife is from Brno). But IMHO, since time is a bit short and it sounds like you want to see a lot, you'll need to prioritize and spend less time traveling and more time enjoying. I think for that, Prague/Bohemia is easier.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Original Poster

I have 2 weeks in Czech...Vienna is just my landing place and then I flight back from Prague, so thats why I need to leave Prague the last.
Old Nov 18th, 2011, 10:21 AM

You can click on my name to read my trip report to the Czech Republic from August 2009. We were gone for 10 days: visited Prague, Karlovy Vary, Cesky Krumlov, Telc & Kutna Hora. We stayed overnight everywhere except for Kutna Hora. We did have a rental car but I believe you can take buses to all of these places. I highly recommend visiting Hluboka Castle, it was one of the highlights of our trip.