Italian Riviera near France

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 05:59 PM
julie

Italian Riviera near France

We'll be leaving in a week for France and will be in the vicinity of Nice for a few days. Just realized that all the guidebooks I've been reading are about France. Is it worth it going into Italy 30 or 40 miles? We are not interested in high rise development, glitz, shopping, or artifically developed tourist attractions. We will have a car. Thank you.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Rex

If you mean for a (fraction of a?) day, I'd say no. Monaco, yes, maybe.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 06:24 AM
Edward

Try San Remo. Has a boardwalk, Russian church to look in, not too big, easy parking at the beach to wander around, should be 2 hours max interesting scenic drive on the autostrada.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Wayne

I would recommend driving along the low coastal road (SS1 by number in Italy) and just drive eastward from Nice until you decide it's time to turn back. It's always fun to go into a different country and see what the people are like, even for a few hours. The recommendation you have received for San Remo is a good one; however, there are also dozens of smaller villages where you can stop along the way. I think you would enjoy it as a day trip.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 07:07 PM
julie

Thanks so much for the help.

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 12:41 AM
Myriam

I'm with Wayne. Drive from Nice over the coastal road and be sure to make a stop at Menton (=at the F/I border). Then on to Ventimiglia, Bordighera to Sanremo. This small trip will show you the difference between France and Italy and is definitely worth the trip.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Karen Blixen

Ventimiglia was a hole. beware.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 07:03 PM
jj

Ventimiglia has a great market (on wednesday, I think). We enjoyed the waterfront but it is not the most beautiful city on the Italian Riviera. Would highly recommend you at least check out a city or town on the Italian side. Of course the best are on the other side of Genova.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 08:54 PM
ttt

to the top

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 08:09 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Julie, Menton is an Italian city but in France--and very lovely. You will like it--no need to go further.