Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italian Riviera -- how do I choose which town?

Apr 21st, 1998, 03:20 PM
Abbie

I love this forum! Yet, I feel like I've read so much great info on the Italian Riviera, that I can't decide which place would be best for our trip. We only have two nights to spend somewhere.

At first I thought Vernazza, then Levanto, then Lerici, then Portoverne.

We are traveling by train. We want to find a relaxing place, with great hiking/great beach and we only can afford to spend about $50-70 per night on lodging.

Does anyone have some good advice? Thanks!

Apr 22nd, 1998, 11:40 AM
Will Broughton

I suggest you check out Rick Steves' budget travel book on Italy or Europe Throught the Back Door. Although I have not been to this area I know that he covers it extensively in his books and I have had good luck with his advice for other areas.

Apr 23rd, 1998, 04:49 AM
marianna

I am in the same situation as Abbie and would love to hear more comments about this area and traveling in/about it. Thanks.

Apr 25th, 1998, 01:08 AM
maria

The riviera is one of my favorite spots in all of italia. Stay in Rapallo at the Hotel Italia. They speak English, serve breakfast and dinner and have beautiful oceanviews. The best bread and cheese I found in italia was in Rapallo. Good, hard crust bread and Pasquale's wet muzzarella cheese. Have fun!!!

Apr 25th, 1998, 10:34 AM
Gail

The Fasce Hotel in Santa Margherita was lovely and very reasonable at approximately $50 a night. The restaurant Da Baicin, was recommended by Fodor's, was a real find. It cost less than $60 for two people which included a three course meal and a bottle of wine and was absolutely delicious.

Apr 28th, 1998, 03:01 PM
Abbie

Thanks for all the suggestions -- you're convincing me that we need to stay for a few more days to check out different towns.