Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italian Rail (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italian-rail-39502/)

Dayle Mar 7th, 1999 03:28 PM

Italian Rail

I know this has been posted before, but I did a search and couldn't find it. What is the web site with Italian rail schedules? Anyone?

richard j. vicek` Mar 7th, 1999 03:35 PM

Good evening, Dayle <BR>A number of URL's for FS rail service. <BR>www.fs-on-line.com/ and <BR>www.raileurope.com/ <BR>Good surfing, Richard of Hickory Hills, Ill.... <BR>

Dayle Mar 7th, 1999 04:38 PM

Thanks, Richard! I was familiar with Raileurope, but it wasn't giving me the small towns I wanted. I think I was asking outside its timespan. The fs-on-line looks good and I have added it to my favorites. Grazie!

Stephen Mar 9th, 1999 07:12 PM

Hello- you might try <BR> www.itwg.com/trains/trains.asp Hope it works!

Joanne Mar 10th, 1999 07:31 AM

www.eurorail.com/railsked.htm <BR> <BR>This site links you to a german managed website that can give you a journey guide, detailed itinerary, graphics, etc.

anne Mar 10th, 1999 08:51 AM

Here's a tag-along question...do I remember correctly that the Italian train stations don't accept foreign credit cards??? Or am I thinking of somewhere else?

anne Mar 11th, 1999 06:07 AM

Bringing it to the top in search of an answer to my tag-along question...thanks!

anne Mar 11th, 1999 06:08 AM

Bringing it to the top in search of an answer to my tag-along question...thanks!

Beth Mar 11th, 1999 06:36 AM

I have read that this is true, Italian train stations only accept credit cards drawn on Italian banks. Can anyone with personal experience confirm this? Is cash the only alternative?

Joann Mar 14th, 1999 11:57 AM

The major Italian train stations all accept the whole array of credit cards from Amex to MasterCard. However, at the smaller stations, there is no predicting - there seems to be no pattern. When they do accept them, they are well advertised - just look for the window with the little credit card signs all over it.

beenthere Mar 15th, 1999 05:09 AM

Hi, <BR> I had my VISA refused at Italian rail stations in Milan and Assisi. The Milan guy just threw it back in my face with no explanation. The Assisi guy was very nice and explained with pantomime that although they took VISA, the VISA had to be Italian or drawn against only certain foreign banks. They actually have a picture-book of foreign VISA cards they will take, which is how he communicated that my card wasn't in his book. I had no trouble using my VISA elsewhere, and in general it's a good card to take to Italy. Try posting again asking explicitly about your CARD and its issuing BANK. Take traveler's checks sufficient for all your spending just in case. I have spoken to other cardholders at my bank and apparently it is common for us to be refused at Italian rail.

SpineGuy Mar 23rd, 1999 07:25 PM

Schedule...you don't need a schedule...they're never on time. Unless you are late. sorry bad joke..guess you had to be there.