Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italian Lakes or Cinque Terre? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italian-lakes-or-cinque-terre-452071/)

rbnwdlr Nov 18th, 2008 05:49 AM

Italian Lakes or Cinque Terre?

We are planning a June France/Italy trip. If you had to choose one or the other, Lakes (Como, etc.) or Cinque Terre, which would you choose? We have never been to either, although our son has been to Cinque Terre in winter.
Thanks!

PalenQ Nov 18th, 2008 05:51 AM

If it's just a one or two day thing then the Cinque Terre is perfect

but after a day or two for the normal tourist Cinque Terre can be boring

The lakes have so much to offer so if it's for a week or so pick any lake and you'll never be bored.

That's only my opinion after experience all the lakes and 5 Terre

zeppole Nov 18th, 2008 05:59 AM

Who is "we"? The terrain of le Cinque Terre and that of Lago di Como is quite different. It is really almost impossible to be le Cinque Terre and not do a lot of stairclimbing. And presumably you want sunny weather, but that means you'll really feel the heat climbing those stairs. So if anyone in your group doesn't like heat and exertion, think about that.

Also the ambience of the two places is very different. Most of Lago di Como has been, for more than a century, a honeymoon and anniversary destination, given over to hedonistic pleasures and fancy holidaymaking and strollibgn around promenades. Cinque Terre only recently became known to tourists. Up til then, it was a collection of falling down fishing villages in rough terrain. Even today, accommodations in the towns tend toward the charming bed-breakfast and the rustic.

Lastly is the food. If you like pesto, garlic, fish, fish, seafood and more fish, especially anchovies, you won't want to miss Liguria. If you like to eat meat, you will rarely find it on the menu, and it's not likely to be well prepared if you do.

I live not far from le Cinque Terre, and I love staircases, anchovies, garlic, slightly salty wine and nothing to do except enjoy the sun and sea.

I've visited the lakes and I adore them for their mists and mystery, their unique vistas, the elegant holiday fun, music in the bars in the evening and the proximity of Milano in case it rains.

zeppole Nov 18th, 2008 06:03 AM

Just to respond to PalenQ:

After several years in Liguria, I've yet to get bored, and I was certainly bored on Lago Maggiore after a few days. When I was in Lago di Como, I enjoyed doing nothing -- because after reading up on the local attractions, mainly consisting of gardens and villa-gawking, there wasn't enough to compel me off my terrace. It was more fun to read a good book.

But I never claimed to be "normal"!

Lago di Garda has the most variety for a long stay and I think it's lots of fun. But it is the lake most built up with modern development, and the one most colonized by German holidaymakers, so that's something to think about.

zeppole Nov 18th, 2008 06:06 AM

Also, rbnwdlr,

If you don't like crowds and crowds of tourists, you can avoid them in both places, but it takes some doing. The Italian riviera is spectacularly beautiful for miles and miles of coastline, so no need to pile into le Cinque Terre with the Rick Steves crowd if you don't want to.

There are also hideaways on the lakes other than the most famous destinations if you prefer.

bobthenavigator Nov 18th, 2008 06:22 AM

So, there you have it. Perhaps more than you wanted to know about Zeppole and her lifestyle. She certainly knows her stuff and has strong opinions.
I think both are worth your time and it may depend on travel logistics. If you are traveling by train then the CT would be easier for you---where do you go next? However, Lago Como is a a place you have to see one time in your life and June is a good time to go. We are going back for our 4th visit in early Oct. as part of our trip celebrating our 50th.

rbnwdlr Nov 18th, 2008 08:52 AM

Oh boy. We have 2 weeks but can't figure out how to split it up. I kind of have my heart set on Capri since our son has Marriott points for the JWMarriott and I don't think I would ever be able to afford Capri any other way. So, it is a dilemma. And I also want to go to the Val d'Orcia, Rome, Venice, Amalfi Coast. Yikes, gotta narrow it down. Thanks!

zeppole Nov 18th, 2008 09:31 AM

Go to Capri. Sounds great. But then save Venice, the Lakes and le Cinque Terre for another trip. Two weeks is a nice amount of time to enjoy Rome, some of Tuscany and a beautiful island.

rbnwdlr Nov 18th, 2008 11:20 AM

Thanks zeppole. The only problem is that we have been to Rome, Tuscany, the Amalfi Coast five times and never to the Lakes. I would totally go back for a sixth time but I feel like I SHOULD see something else. Thanks for the advice, though, and I may take it.

zeppole Nov 18th, 2008 11:37 AM

Then why not see something more convenient to Capri?

Ferry over to Sicily?

Sardegna have any appeal?

Have you ever been to Ischia?

Rent a car and head for Puglia?

Instead of Cinque Terre, why not Gaeta?

http://www.expatexchange.com/images/...aeta_italy.jpg

Or for June -- THE PIANO GRANDE!

http://images.google.com/images?um=1...=Search+Images

Where are you going in France?

bobthenavigator Nov 18th, 2008 12:07 PM

Stay north or south---your call!

rbnwdlr Nov 18th, 2008 12:20 PM

We were thinking of flying into Nice, France and spending the better part of a week there and the surrounding area. Then train? to Italy. Perhaps Cinque Terre, Rome, then Capri/Amalfi, all via train. OR the lakes, Venice, down to Tuscany/Rome. Can't decide but thanks for the help. Not too interested in Ischia or Sicily right now. Our daughter has never been to Ialy so would like to show her places I love perhaps.

zeppole Nov 18th, 2008 12:33 PM

The coastal train from Nice runs right through le Cinque Terre, so you might as well get off and have a look. (You can't see it from the train.)

But then instead of going to Rome, you could get a train in La Spezia for Venice or Como. Or rent a car in La Spezia, drive to the lakes, go to Venice.

By the way, if you do enough research, you can always find simple, inexpensive Italian accommodations in the most glorious places. I stayed in the rooms of the restaurant Da Salvatore in Ravello, with a tiny balcony and sea view, for 90 euros a night. I bet you can go to Capri someday without your son's points.

zeppole Nov 18th, 2008 12:37 PM

And PS; Why not let your daughter decide if she's rather have you show her your favorite places, or both of you take a flyer on something new?

Jean Nov 18th, 2008 04:00 PM

"Cinque Terre only recently became known to tourists."

I had no idea what a tourist pioneer I am. My family visited the CT in 1963 (I returned in 1968) not by chance but because my parents had heard of these coastal villages connected by footpaths.