Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italian Lake Area in Second Week of October? Yes, No, Maybe So?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of experience has anyone had with the weather in the Italian lake area in the second week of October?

I am contemplating a trip this October, perhaps to Florence and the Lake area.

Any advice is much appreciated, as are any other tips for "moderate" lodging, restaurants, etc.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 06:37 AM

Hmmm, that can be iffy, hard to say. Many of the hotels close about that time. Location may depend on having a car or not.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob. My initial thoughts were that the timing of this trip might preclude going into the mountains.

Old Jul 17th, 2008, 07:39 AM

How many hotels do you need?

How long are you planning to stay -- and at which lake?

By mountains, do you mean the Dolomiti?
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

@zeppole;

I may have not characterized the area correctly as the area I am interested in is the Lake Como area.

We would probably be staying for three nights and in one location.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 08:11 AM

I've stayed on Como (and also Maggiore and Lugano) in October twice before, both times the first and second weeks of the month. Both times the weather was glorious, cool misty mornings, blue skies and sunny days with that special golden light that you get only in autumn. Looking back through my photographs I see only one overcast day from over three weeks in the area, and no rain. That being said, autumn weather in the lakes can be unsettled and you can't count on it being good. But then the same is true of spring. I've had more rain on Como (and Maggiore) in May than in October.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 08:12 AM

I wouldn't hesitate to go in October. One of the things about any lake location, anywhere, is the humidity, which can give you mist and rain. Lago di Como is subject to mist for a lot of the year.

I loved staying at the Eremo Gaudio with a terrace in Varenna. Varenna is on the train line, so you can take day trips on rainy days if you're not renting a car. With your luggage, you will need to take a taxi from the train station in Varenna to the hotel. Otherwise, you can walk it if you are reasonably fit.

If you are renting a car, you should probably stay on the other side of the lake, in or around Menaggio.

I'm going to add though that, for me, the great attraction of Lago di Como is the view from Bellagio. Finito! If you have many days you want to stay there and relax by a lake, you can do that, but if you like to see a lot of Italy on your visits, it can make more sense to stay in someplace like Bergamo or Verona, and just grab some transport on a clear day and go to Bellagio, have lunch, go home. If you have a car, stay at some interesting agriturismo in the Veneto and drive up to Bellagio on a clear day.

Old Jul 17th, 2008, 09:32 AM

I have visited Lake Como 3 times in october and found the weather consistently beautiful. Sunny, warm, clear- perfect!

I like staying in Bellagio.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 09:35 AM

PS- I have even been there the last week of October and did not see that any hotels were closed. Many were planning to close after the last weekend of October.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 11:07 AM

zeppole - can you expand on Eramo Gaudio?
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 12:58 PM

Eremo Gaudio in Varenna.

It used to be a hermitage. It sits above the lake shore, on the side of a hill, and you need to take a small funicular/elevator up the side of the hill to get to it. It's very steep. My room with a terrace was divine. So was the breakfast terrace.

http://www.eremogaudio.it/inglese.htm

http://tinyurl.com/5ku5k2

Old Jul 17th, 2008, 01:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been to mid-Lake Como many times at the end of October and wouldn't hesitate to go to the area any time in October. I actually like it better after some of the hotels have closed. Fewer tourists.

Some hotels, some restaurants and a few shops in Bellagio and Varenna begin closing generally after the second weekend of October. It's an economic decision based on confirmed reservations. Some years, the season goes strong to the end of the month.

I can recommend the Hotel Florence and the Residence La Limonera (apartments) in Bellagio and the Hotel du Lac in Varenna. Other Fodorites have recommended the Hotel Metropole and Hotel Belvedere in Bellagio, although I'm not sure the Belvedere would be "moderate" to you.

There have been a few threads this year on restaurants in Varenna and Bellagio. Do a search.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 01:33 PM

Sorry to interupt your post dwzemens. Thanks zeppole that place sounds perfect!
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

@zeppole,

I have managed to secure a three night reservation for Eremo Gaudio, but in the lower level standard double room with balcony and lake view.

Can you advise me on the difference between the lower and upper level? Will we lose the WOW factor on the lower level? Where is the terrace for dining? Above?

Thanks again!
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 06:45 AM

I'm very interested in the answer to this as I'm getting ready to make reservations there.