Reload this Page >

Italian Itinerary: March 2003

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 01:46 PM
renumeus

This site has become part of my daily diet- your tips are all amazing! I would love your feedback for my March 13-April 2 Italy trip. I am flying into Paris for a few days, then meeting my boyfriend who is flying into Rome. Tickets are already purchased. I've been to France several times, he's been with me once. He'll be in Rome 2 nights before I get there.<BR><BR>Since I know you'll all ask, here are the pertinent details so you can tailor your critiques:<BR><BR>WHEN: Arrive Rome March 17, leave Rome April 2<BR>HOW: 1 backpack each<BR>PRIORITIES: Amalfi Coast, Florence and Siena, explore a little more of Rome (been there before so don't mind breaking that up), Venice (willing to drop)<BR>ACTIVITIES: Eat good food, drink wine, walk around soaking up life, a few museums/sites thrown in (prefer the more ecclectic catacombs type stuff) archaeology<BR>MEANS OF TRAVEL: Trains/Planes<BR>BUDGET: Cheap hotels (under $70) with the occasional splurge<BR><BR>Itinerary 1 Middle, North then South:<BR>Fly to Rome<BR>**2 nights Rome<BR>Train to Venice<BR>**2 nights Venice<BR>Train to Florence<BR>**4 nights Florence<BR>Bus to Siena<BR>**2 nights Siena<BR>Bus to Florence<BR>Train to Naples (4 hours)<BR>Train to Sorrento (1 hour)<BR>Bus to Positano<BR>**5 nights Amalfi Coast (city suggestions?)<BR>Bus to Naples<BR>Train To Rome<BR>**2 final nights in Rome<BR><BR>Of course, I have contemplated heading to Amalfi first. But thought it might be nicer to end in a small coastal area.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for your help!<BR>

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 02:03 PM
rar

If you havent seen Venice yet, don't drop it. I personally would take 1 day away from Florence and spend it in Venice. No need to bus to Siena by the way, trains go straight there. Personally I think your itinerary concentrates too much on the cities/touristy areas. Perhaps take a couple days off the beaten path (the well beaten path that is, many people do see these following places) and check out Orvieto, Perugia, Montepulciano, or Cortona.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Ira

Hi<BR> Hope you enjoy your trip. Sounds great.<BR> There have been many posts here that recommend the bus to Siena.<BR> Do NOT, repeat NOT, drop Venice. If you have already been to Rome drop that instead.<BR> &quot;Venice is a box of bon bons&quot;, Truman Capote.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 02:15 PM
rar

Ira can you explain the benefits of the bus vs the train to Siena? I'm curious, haven't heard this before. Thanks.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 03:11 PM
Rebecca

There's a very beautiful little hotel (building dates from 1600's)within walking distance to St. Peters. A little splurge at $129 euros per night. The walls have lovely murals. They serve wonderful hot crossants with jam and coffee, among other foods, in the basement breakfast room. Restaurant next door was great and not expensive. We loved the Gnocci a la' Roma. http://www.hotelsantanna.com/Home_din.html. You might also really like to see this book before you go - it has loads of beautiful color photos of an underground Rome I never guessed exhisted. Have only recently found it, so I didn't see any of the sites while there. &quot;Subterranean Rome: Catacombs, Baths and Temples. I bought mine at Half-Price Books for $10, but see online at BN.com, etc. There's also a paperback version, but I haven't seen it so don't know if the photo quality is the same.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 03:20 PM
Rebecca

P.S. Consider Museum Reservations in Florence (Check out RickSteves.com). We could have saved 3 hours in line at the Uffizi when I visited Florence 4 years ago. But do &quot;heed&quot; also this newer posting from Steve's site: &quot;Museum Reservations<BR>Making prior reservations for Florence's museums is not the ultimate time-saver you might expect. Reservations have become so popular that the line for people WITH reservations is VERY long. Here's another idea: Get up early and arrive at the Uffizi BEFORE it opens. That way you're one of the first in with a minimum of wait. As you're buying your ticket, ALSO purchase a ticket for three hours or so later at the Accademia (you pay an extra small fee for this, just as you would for having a reservation). When you arrive at the Accademia, you skip BOTH lines because you ALREADY HAVE A TICKET. Just walk in at your ticketed time with no wait.<BR>Freckle Face<BR>Portland, OR, USA 08/06/02&quot;

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 03:32 PM
Roland

To:rar<BR><BR>The benefit of the bus from Florence to Siena is (1) it is faster(take the express)(2) it leaves much more often, about every hour (3)the bus drops you off at the wall, near the soccer field, so you can walk into the city center where as the train requires a taxie and (4) it is cheaper. All the locals take the bus.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 05:00 PM
tpr

well maybe I'm crazy but my suggestion is drop the Amalfi coast bit altogether and concentrate on Rome then Tuscany then Venice -- you can always squeeze in a couple of days in the Cinque Terre or Porto Santo Stefano if you want some beach tiem (although may not be that warm).