Italian Hotel - Cash No receipt .

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2003, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A hotel in Italy has offered me an 8% discount on the bill if I pay in cash and do not request a receipt. Is this legitmate or am setting myself up for some kind of problem?
Old May 20th, 2003, 04:44 AM

Totally illegal...
All shopkeepers, restaurants, hotels have to give you a receipt for fiscal reasons...
And in that case... 8% discount is a ridiculous one!

Their fiscal services (Guardia di Finanza) sometimes carry out controls on tourists, not to bother them, but to make sure that the local shopkeepers are respecting the regulations, which of course is a difficult mission in Italy (and in other countries)!
Old May 20th, 2003, 04:58 AM

My feeling about vendors or service providers is that if they're willing to cheat the government or other agencies, they're equally willing to cheat me, and I'd have no recourse.
Old May 20th, 2003, 05:02 AM
ira

Hi
Whatever you do, don't pay in advance.
Old May 20th, 2003, 05:30 AM

Many hotels will offer a discount for cash or not even take credit cards. BUT, the give a receipt. Never leave anywhere without a receipt. As Ira said, if they'll cheat the government, they'll cheat you. Aslo check the receipt before you leave.

This has nothing to do with this subject but while I'm talking about checking receipts.....if you have a paper ticket from an airline, when you give it to the clerk, check that they haven't torn out too much. My daughter was on a multi legged trip and found out on her second leg that that part of the ticket was torn out with the first leg....lots of running around to fix it. Also if you're on a multi leg trip, make sure your luggage sticker says the next city. I caught my luggage going to NYC when I was stopping in Frankfort for a couple of days. I know, off the subject, but good hints to stay aware of.
Old May 20th, 2003, 05:31 AM

Sorry that was Elaine that said about the cheating, But Ira's statment about not paying in advance is correct, too.
Old May 20th, 2003, 06:03 AM

The taxes are so high in Europe that Europeans are always looking for ways to avoid paying them (our Uncle Sam -- their Uncle Vinny)

I would avoid the place.
Old May 20th, 2003, 06:40 AM

Hi bferk,

I've paid cash in Italy to get a discount at hotels but I was always given a receipt (illegal in Italy not to give a receipt - that's why you get a receipt for everying). And, I was only asked to paid the bill upon checking out, at the end of the stay, never up front.

You can look at this 2 ways - a discount for cash or a surcharge for using a credit card (to make up for the amount the credit card company charges the establishment). I've had it stated both ways.

adrienne