Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italian Honeymoon - Help! Is this too much travel time?

Jan 19th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

We are going to Italy for our honeymoon in May. We plan on leaving May 17 & staying for 10 - 11 nights.

My ideal itinerary would be Lake Como 4 nights, Rome 3 nights, & Amalfi Coast 4 nights. I guess we's fly into Milan? & out of Naples?

Im wondering how long the train rides are between these places - specifically worried that the train ride from Lake Como to Rome would be very long.

Any suggestions? This is not set in stone & I'm open to advice on how to best spend 11 days in Italy, but cant budge on spending 3 days in Rome - Ive been, but fiancee hasnt & has to see it!

Id also like to spend some time in the countryside, and would love to go back to Cinque Terre, Ive been there before & vowed to go back for my honeymoon, but now am changing my mind b/c theres so many other places I want to see too.

We dont want to be going from town to town every other day, would like to spend at least 3-4 days at a time in each place we stay.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Jan 19th, 2004, 12:13 PM
ira

Hi PJ,

I have found that it is always more pleasant when one of the couple has already been there and can act as a guide.

How about this:

Fly into Naples: Spend 5 nights on the beautiful, romantic Amalfi Coast. Train to Rome and spend the rest of your time there, with an overnight to the CT.

I think that there are more convenient flights out of Rome than out of Naples.
Jan 19th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ira,
i didnt think of doing a side trip from rome up to CT - you dont think thats too far?

other main problem is Im dying to go to Lake Como, more than anywhere else. is this unreasonable, considering we have to do Rome too?

also, i am brand new to this website, I cant figure out how to get my post up on the Italy board?
thanks!

Jan 19th, 2004, 12:41 PM
ira

Hi PJ,

Welcome to the group.

There is no Italy board. All Europe threads go into the same bin. The countries are only for searching.

www.trenitalia shows Rome to Vernazza takes 4-5 hr.

Haven't been to the Lakes, but I would suggest that you either do Lake Como and Rome or the AC and Rome, but not all three.

You will go back again.

Have a wonderful hooneymon.

Jan 19th, 2004, 12:45 PM

Well, I for one think your original idea is wonderful. Como, Rome, and Amalfi Coast, although I'd be tempted to do Como (Bellagio?) for 3, Rome for 4, and wherever on the Amalfi Coast for 4 -- probably Sorrento if you want to get around an explore more.

I see the first few days on Lake Como being the romantic and relaxing part of your trip. Probably the area to do the biggest splurge hotel wise. I've known a number of honeymoon couples who have splurged for starting their honeymoon at Vill d'Este, and none have ever regretted it.

I'd say pass on the Cinque Terre this time, you're doing enough. Do the Path of the Gods near Positano instead, if you want to get in some hiking.

As to getting this post on the Italy board, there really is no such thing. If you failed to click Italy when you posted your original message, this thread won't come up for someone just clicking at Italy and looking at those threads only, but if most posters are like me, they don't do that anyway. All European posts come up automatically in the list.
Jan 19th, 2004, 12:47 PM

Can you go back? I'd save the Lakes and VEnice and even 5 terre for another trip some day since you feel Rome is a must do. (I think honeymoons shld be a first trip for Both people but just my opinion!).

What about into Rome and out of Florence? Amalfi 3 nights, Rome 3 nights, S. Tuscany 3 nights, a day/night in FLorence?
Jan 19th, 2004, 12:50 PM

Ok, I just read some of the responses and must agree, we started our honeymoon on Lake COmo and it was wonderful. And you don't have to pay a fortune for a romantic place. We loved www.varenna.net Albergo Milano. Fly into Milan and train up to Varenna (or splurge and rent a car). Or there's a bus/boat option to get there too!

Tuscany was the favorite part of our trip so I can't imagine training through it to get to Rome but if you must....
Jan 20th, 2004, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the good responses.
You all seem to love the places i want to see, so I know no matter which way i go, i'll have an amazing time.

But - given these three choices: Lake Como, Amalfi Coast, Tuscan Countryside, which one could you skip? i have to pick 2 of the three, plus Rome! I cant decide which place to skip & vow to go back to.
I think of all of them i would love Lake Como the most.

I wont take it personally either that this thread was pushed all the way to the bottom, but the one on "honeymoons" which was originally posted right after i wrote this one, is still going strong!! glad i gave you food for thought i guess! i dont need to justify myself, but i assure you it wont all be "going downhill from here"!

Jan 20th, 2004, 05:52 AM

For our honeymoon 2 yrs ago we flew into and out of Milan, did 4 days on Lake Garda, 2 Venice, 2 Florence, 3 Rome, 3 CT... I don't think a train ride from Lake Como to Rome would be that bad, and hitting the lakes for the first few days is a highly recommended honeymoon spot! (by me at least )

We rented a car so we could drive around the lake and it was wonderful - I would suggest it, then drop the car back off in Milan and take the train to Rome. Or straight to the Amalfi coast and end in Rome for your flight out.

Good luck, happy planning and congrats!
Jan 20th, 2004, 05:56 AM

It is your honeymoon and you should do what you want. However, I agree you should at least consider doing the Amalfi coast, Rome and Como (in that order).

The train from Rome to Como takes about 6 hours. Take a look at trenitali.it for schedules. You can also use the website for the Swiss National Railway at rail.ch. (You can use this for train travel purely within Italy, I find this site a bit easier to use than the Italian train website trenitalia.com. You can't get prices on the rail.ch site.)

The best arrangement with least backtracking would be if you can arrange an open jaw ticket to fly into Naples, stay along the coast, train to Rome (3 hours) stay for a few days, train to Como, and then fly out of Milan (about 1 hour by train or bus). You could even spend a night in Milan to see the Last Supper, etc.

If you do Cinque Terre, I would drop Amalfi as doing two coastal/mountain regions might not give you the variety you want.

Totally agree on Villa d'este a great hotel and a destination in itself. Other than trips up and down the lake, you really don't have to leave the grounds of the hotel. In Amalfi, have to put in a good word for the Santa Caterina, in a spectacular setting on a cliff over the sea and set amidst lemon and orange groves. Take a look at lhw.com (you will see the Villa d'este here too). IMO both hotels would be a great way to begin and end a honeymoon. (Maybe add a great hotel in Milan and Rome too.)

Jan 20th, 2004, 07:16 AM
ira

Hi pj,

There was nothing personal about your post going to the bottom.

Each time there is a reply to a post the thread goes to the top and everything else goes down one step.

Jan 20th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

hi ira,
i know how that works, but thanks!

i meant i wont take it personal that i got the impression that my post inspired you to ask if elaborate honeymoons are related to the divorce rate - you wrote that right after you replied to my original post. i was offended for 1 second, but then realized your sense of humor - i think!

& thanks again to you & all who have responded so far! i am meeting w/ the travel agent tomorrow & i think im gonna try to do como, rome & amalfi. sounds like it will be worth the extra travel time.
is como very expensive in general? i know there are some excellent hotels, & i hope we can splurge on one, but if not, are there reasonably priced ones as well & are the restaurants all very expensive there?
Jan 20th, 2004, 07:34 AM

I don't find Como to be any more expensive than other resort areas in Italy or major cities. Yes, there a many other hotel options in Como, Rome and the Amalfi coast in all price ranges. Yes, there are many reasonably priced restaurants.

As for a travel agent, myself and I thikn most others on this site would tell you to use them to book flights and mabe hotels; but only after you have done your own research to confirm that you can't get a better price on your own by going through websites or contacting hotels directly. The luxury hotels like the Villa d'este are not generally sold through travel agents, to they most likely can't get you any deal. Don't let an agetn talk you into a package of airfare, hotels, transportation and sightseeing or meals. With the help of people on this site and some initiative of your own, you can do 90% of this trip yourself.