Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italian Fashionistas (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italian-fashionistas-902833/)

barefootbeach Aug 15th, 2011 06:09 PM

Italian Fashionistas

Hi,
We're heading to Sardinia, Sicily and a little Rome in mid-Sept to early Oct, and I'm debating about what type of (women's) pants to bring. I really hate to bring jeans because they're heavy, hotter, and take long to dry....but is that what most people wear? (I'm in my mid-50's) My other options are a taupe cotton/stretch and lightweight black slacks. The jeans I'd bring are gray with lycra also in them.
Mostly, I plan to wear a casual dress or skirt during the day.
I appreciate your fashion feedback!

crckwc1 Aug 15th, 2011 09:13 PM

I'm not a fashion expert but if you're planning to wear a skirt or dress during the day, I would opt for light weight, washable-drip-dryable black slacks at night. We were in Italy this summer and saw both black and white skinny pants and capris -- not so many jeans. Although I sometimes travel with a brown wardrobe, black is elegant, doesn't show soil, goes with virtually everything and is, IMO, the perfect travel item.

tuscanlifeedit Aug 15th, 2011 10:13 PM

Bring
a casual dress
a skirt
taupe cotton/stretch pants
lightweight black slacks
and a pair of jeans

YOu'll have all the "bottoms' you need and a nice selection.

In fact, I may bring exactly this selection to Paris in November, but I'll make my pants a little warmer.

tarquin Aug 16th, 2011 12:01 AM

Tuscan has one "bottom" too many (apostrophes carefully inserted) and I think it's the jeans. No need for anything so heavy in early Oct.

barefootbeach Aug 16th, 2011 05:11 AM

Thanks for all your comments. As much as I like the look of dressier jeans, I don't like sitting in them for hours! So, I think I'll skip the jeans...now I need to cut down the number of casual dresses...I was bringing 3 (sundress types) a skirt and a dressier dress....but we are going for 5 weeks!

jnjfraz Aug 16th, 2011 06:52 AM

Nights canbe cooler so a light weight sweater should be added

tuscanlifeedit Aug 16th, 2011 08:09 AM

I don't pack more for more weeks. I just get a little laundry done.

I've gone away twice this summer without a pair of jeans and regretted it. Both times there were cool and wet evenings. I like to have a pair of jeans with me.

ekc Aug 16th, 2011 08:39 AM

skip the jeans - they are too bulky and take too long to dry. You are on the right track!

CYESQ Aug 17th, 2011 05:59 AM

Agree with tuscanlife. If going for 5 weeks, then she's got plenty of options with the selections she's made and there will be time to get those jeans done at a laundry. It's not as though she's going to wash them and hang them out the window! I'm more concerned with taking 3 sundresses. I don't think it's going to be that warm for sundesses, at least not 3 of them. Or if you do, take a jacket style top to add in the evenings or if it gets cool. I'd take 1 dress and one or two more pants, maybe a pair of slacks and one capri pants.

saige Aug 17th, 2011 07:58 AM

You'll need a sweater or other cover-up for any churches you might choose to visit in a sundress or tank style top.

barefootbeach Aug 17th, 2011 06:50 PM

Thanks everyone,
I'll cut the dresses back to 2 day dresses and 1 night one...and have a couple of sweater options. I do like the look of jeans,, but weight is an issue because we're flying on some regional airplanes that have restrictive baggage policies. I wish I didn't care what I wore and could manage in a backpack....but that's just not me.